Author Topic: Wild Things  (Read 1029 times)

Online strandman

• NEClimbs God
Wild Things
« on: October 05, 2013, 06:14:27 PM »
I didn't want this to happen but,,,

After 32+ years, I am DONE with WT... a MONTH waiting for a response about fixing a zipper   >:(  Nothing, just a "will get back to you"

Sucks, i always really liked this gear. I still remember JB handing me some sewn sling in '81 , "check these out"

Offline pitonpat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: Wild Things
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 09:08:52 PM »
Yup, I'm with you...gave up a while ago after a ridiculously long delay regarding an exchange for a different sized jacket.  Also, their focus seems to be more on the military & tactical stuff- which is OK but doesn't serve my needs.  And, there's still no new version of the icesac/rocsac which they've been promising for ages! 

It's really kinda ironic...early in my climbing career (mid-60's) lots of us used Army surplus gear; WWII surplus wool pants (actually really good when it's real cold- dry snow doesn't cling), canvas puttees before nylon gaiters became available, single layer 2-man mountain tents.  Anyway, I'm glad GI's are now getting really good gear, but at 'our' expense! 

I'll keep an open mind but there are lots of small companies like the 'early' Wild Things to support.

Offline SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »
In case you didn't know--Wild Things in North Conway has closed. Titoune is not involved in the day to day operations of the company anymore. She always took care of these type of problems,

Online strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 01:16:27 PM »
I did know that SA, too bad I never had any problems before..ever

Offline goodrockrich

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:45:56 AM »

I'll keep an open mind but there are lots of small companies like the 'early' Wild Things to support.

I totally dig buying from small companies!  Can you recommend some?  what are your favorites? 

And just for the record I have had the same WT belay parka for around 10 years now and just recently sent it in for a new zipper and it was back within a week.  I didn't know the North Conway location was closed?  Was there a change in management/ownership?

Offline DGoguen

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »
I totally dig buying from small companies!  Can you recommend some? 
Packs= Cold Cold World here in the MWV.
Don't Climb

Online strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 11:03:07 AM »
A WEEK ! that's really good since I couldn't even get a call back

CCW is awesome stuff... i have 2 packs that are still like new...easy customizing as well

Offline tim03303

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 07:13:19 PM »
I had a similiar problem exchanging a WT jacket for a different size. 

I was looking for a pack comparable with the WT Andinista.  Ended up getting a 45L Cilogear (tiny company in Portland OR)--very pleased with their product and service.

Offline pitonpat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 12:19:57 AM »
Goodrockrich,

I firmly agree with the Cold Cold World recommendation.  Randy made customized Ozone packs for my son and me which I bought at the same time as a new Cilogear 40L worksack... Haven't even used the Cilogear as I prefer the CCW. Simple, uncluttered with excess straps, no structure other than a foam bivy pad.

Have a look at NW Alpine.  Some of their gear looks real good, some a little unsophisticated but they're developing.  Figure Four packs have some really innovative ideas.  Haven't given up on Wild Things, they're just not the same small company they used to be...more corporate now but still worth following. 

Offline goodrockrich

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Re: Wild Things
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 06:25:51 AM »
It's funny.  I was just surfing the web and stumbled upon their site. Has any one purchased a pack from hyperlite mountain gear?  They are located in Biddeford ME!  It looks like they have some cool packs.

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline JeffP

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 05:43:11 PM »
I've had a hyperlite pack since early summer and am really psyched on it.  I was on the hunt for a new pack for 3-4 months and am glad I settled on hyperlite.  It fits me perfectly and has all of the features I wanted plus a couple extras.  I stopped by their shop in biddeford and talked with one of the designers about some modifications I was interested in and they were very accommodating.  I highly recommend them

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 08:08:07 PM »
Hyperlite looks like a good company. They just signed up to be an advertiser here on the web site.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com