NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: what a weekend  (Read 559 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
what a weekend
« on: November 24, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »

got up Saturday morning at 6:30 to no hot water and a lot of rusty water in my basement.  >:(  fortunately I was able to get my plumber over and he's ordering a hot water heater which should be in on Tuesday. I spent 3/4 of the day cleaning up the yucky mess. I'm just hoping that it can get installed before Thanksgiving! when I got up this morning, Sunday, around 8:30 am or so the power went off. this was before the wifey got her morning shot of espresso! it was off for about 2 hours, and then went off again for 15 minutes a few hours later! 

sheesh...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: what a weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:21:05 PM »

Sounds like it's time for a tankless w/h and a generator

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 11:36:50 PM »

Sounds like it's time for a tankless w/h and a generator

+1 a great opportunity to change things up!
We came to climb, not to whine.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »

I do have a generator but we usually wait 3-4 hours before we crank it up since we have to connect up the line to it. as far as the tankless, those things are pretty expensive compared to the regular gass ones, at least from what I see.
Al Hospers

WharfRat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:16:10 AM »

I do have a generator but we usually wait 3-4 hours before we crank it up since we have to connect up the line to it. as far as the tankless, those things are pretty expensive compared to the regular gass ones, at least from what I see.

Just had my old electric tank water heater replaced with a gas tankless.. So fair love it! Unlimited hot water is awesome. The unit for my one bath one kitchen home was $2700 installed. I also had a old oil hot water heating sytem replaced with a gasfurnace and central air. The $2700 may be a low price and a reflection of the rest of the work I had one. Blown in cellulose today, my house is a freaking mess. I have so many repairs to do just to get back to where I was before hey started cutting and drilling.

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »

They are definitely much much more expensive to install, but much cheaper to run since you don't heat up a tank of water to sit around and cool off overnight. Not a great choice if you do not already use the fuel type that the heater requires (propane, in my case). Hope that basement is back to normal soon! 

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:29:16 AM »

$2700 ! OUCH  I have a Bosch 3.5 gpm with no pilot light (water pressur ignites it)..pretty cool  installed for $1600

Remember one thing  about generators--get the Honda

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 09:37:23 AM »

we do have propane. since we have a tenant in my dad's old in-law apartment we do need a fair amount of hot water. however we rarely take showers at the same time. our generator is a portable Generac that is stored in the garage. I push it outside and connect it to our switch whenever it's needed. it's always started right up whenever I've needed it. it won't power everything in the house, but it will do most things.
Al Hospers

WharfRat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »

$2700 ! OUCH  I have a Bosch 3.5 gpm with no pilot light (water pressur ignites it)..pretty cool  installed for $1600

Remember one thing  about generators--get the Honda

One contractor quoted us for the Bosch claiming it better than the Renii simply being German. I will soon see? I have always driven BMW's for the same reason. Late modlel used BMW's, but so far it has proven to serve my pockets well.

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 07:11:24 PM »

We didn't have anything go wrong at the house, but I did get to go out and babysit a downed line (froze my ass off) for 2 1/2 hours yesterday afternoon then got to babysit an arcing wire last night for another 2 hours...  Sounded like much of the state had a lot of downed trees/wires with the wind!

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 08:33:20 PM »

Interesting..my Bosch is made in portugal

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 08:36:09 PM »

They are all in the damn EU.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »

I have always driven BMW's for the same reason. Late modlel used BMW's, but so far it has proven to serve my pockets well.

Wow. I've not heard that argument before. I drive $2400 junkers and get a 'new' one every two years. That makes my car payment about $100 a month, $200 if you factor in repairs. Frees up a lot of money for stuff like ice screws and skis, and helps me maintain the climbing dirtbag persona.  :)

WharfRat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 12:54:31 PM »

Maybe I misspoke,

Not quite a $2400 junker but buying used 5-7 years with low miles 25-35k has always saved me about half the sticker price of new. Add to that free service, oil, breaks everything to 5 yers 50k and then a car that needs no real repairs till around 125k and I feel it is a win win! Nothing worse than car headaches imop. I am only so mechanically inclined "breaks,suspension,fluids" i got but after i am up shit creek. Driving a junker does not make much sense for me as I can't fix the dam thing when it breaks.

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »

Maybe I misspoke,

Not quite a $2400 junker but buying used 5-7 years with low miles 25-35k has always saved me about half the sticker price of new. Add to that free service, oil, breaks everything to 5 yers 50k and then a car that needs no real repairs till around 125k and I feel it is a win win! Nothing worse than car headaches imop. I am only so mechanically inclined "breaks,suspension,fluids" i got but after i am up shit creek. Driving a junker does not make much sense for me as I can't fix the dam thing when it breaks.

Ah, that clears it up. Yeah, mid-life BMWs are nice. Not my cup of tea, but nice. I did this same thing 10 years ago when I bought a used, low mileage Audi. But then I decided that as seldom as I drive, junkers made more sense. I work from home, and the closest climbing is less than a mile away. If they delivered groceries and had taxi service to Rumney, I'd ditch my car altogether. ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 24 queries.