NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: It ain't rocket science folks  (Read 1455 times)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: It ain't rocket science folks
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »

Exactly.... how you gonna do a wall w/o  drugs and booze ???

I went out drinking with henry,, ONCE.. i was a young punk and he was an older punk...never got along.

If I ever won a lottery, i would by all the tricams in the world and burn them

You'd have a tough time protecting stuff in NC.

There's pro in NC ?  Didn't notice much   ;D

slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 06:39:40 AM »

Well written Nick.
bailing is not failing!!!

neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 07:46:40 AM »

Booze and weed never prevented me from buying gear, in fact I've probably bought more gear due to their influence. Having a wife and a child now that puts your purchases on hold.

Nice post Trad.

goodrockrich

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Re: It ain't rocket science folks
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »

Booze and weed never prevented me from buying gear, in fact I've probably bought more gear due to their influence. Having a wife and a child now that puts your purchases on hold.

Nice post Trad.
Money has never been a problem.   I sell some stuff that I don't want to buy the climbing gear that I do.  Or I could just save or barrow.  Now time... that is another issue. Does anyone have some time I can borrow.  :P

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »

I quit buying weed back in the 70's to save up enough for a brand new motorcycle. That worked for me but obviously YMMV. The point is that if you really want to have an adventure bad enough there is always something you can sacrifice to help make that adventure happen. Not takeing up trad climbing simply because it is to expensive simply means you do not really want to have that adventure.  Personally I can not imaging driveing by Devils Tower and not wanting to get to the top of it 8)
Happy turkey day everyone!

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »

The point is that if you really want to have an adventure bad enough there is always something you can sacrifice to help make that adventure happen.

Every trad climber are poor. I didn't have any cam until few years because I can't afford it and I was climbing my 5.10 on sight.

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 06:52:34 PM »

"Every trad climber are poor."  Luke, this is perhaps your greatest exaggerated generalization of all time!! :-X

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »

"Every trad climber are poor."  Luke, this is perhaps your greatest exaggerated generalization of all time!! :-X

In yos, there is a lot of climber who camp without authorization and it is a problem for the authority. They save money to buy equipment....or to be able to do there objective, which is costly with the air plane travel, don't want to pay too much.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »

How many times have you been to the Valley ??? I have been quite a few and noticed a lot of fairly well off climbers....the issue with the NPS has nothing to do with wealth....it's a control issue.  just like teaching the horses to raise their hooves at people on the ground and scare them.

goodrockrich

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Re: It ain't rocket science folks
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2013, 06:31:53 PM »

In yos, there is a lot of climber who camp without authorization and it is a problem for the authority. They save money to buy equipment....or to be able to do there objective, which is costly with the air plane travel, don't want to pay too much.
You are missing Jeff's point LL.   The problem in your statement is the word "every".  To me this means that 100% of all climbers are poor.  A wild exaggeration!   Of course not all trad climbers are poor.  I consider myself a trad climber and I'm not poor.  Just because there a some climbers camping illegally in Yosemite Valley doesn't mean all climbers are poor.  You're a smart guy.  You should be able to see the flaws in your statement.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2013, 08:23:13 PM »

No we are back into this Trad climbing nonsense. There is nothing traditional about modern gizmo gear climbing. traditional climbing is pitons,slung chockstones the ocasional bolt ladder with homemade hangers, wooden runged aiders, shoulder stands, sausage, cheese, bread, wine and knickers.

tinker

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 08:27:58 PM »

^+1

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »

Yeah, Champ, with this one - open mouth, insert not turkey but your big foot!

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 09:40:27 AM »

No we are back into this Trad climbing nonsense. There is nothing traditional about modern gizmo gear climbing. traditional climbing is pitons,slung chockstones the ocasional bolt ladder with homemade hangers, wooden runged aiders, shoulder stands, sausage, cheese, bread, wine and knickers.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I go sport climbing with sausage, cheese, bread, and wine. Especially when it's cold!

I'll have to try knickers and a funny hat, though. That might help me send a little harder. ;-).
We came to climb, not to whine.

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 06:55:52 PM »

just to show you how dumb crackers are...the homemade hangers on the first climbs at Laurel Knob in NC were washers looped with several loops of baling wire. The idea was that you clipped the wire. Above and beyond the questionable nature and strength of this odd  ball arrangement even initially, it only took a couple of years before the wire rusted away and left a useless, unclippable washer screwed flat against the rock. I can attest from first hand experience that climbing a long way out and coming to one of these things when you are already in a slightly frazzled state can be very disheartening. Now that's f$%king trad.  But we mostly stick with saltines, pig's feet, boiled peanuts, and moonshine. Yum.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 23 queries.