General > Climbing Gear Q & A

teathers

(1/7) > >>

tradmanclimbz:
So after  a season and a half on the terathers I am a convert especially for soloing. They help me relax my grip as well as feel more secure at rest stances. The relaxing the grip thing  is great.  last weekend i shouldered the tools and laybacked an icicle on a super thin pillar/curtain. No worries about loseing a tool.  the day before that soloing shoestring as a party of three I would sink my tools real good at a rest stance while I waited for the person ahead of me to do a skinny section. My homemade teathers are strong enough that I feel very safe from falling ice and was able to really mentally relax much better in a spot where I would have had to focus  more had I been leashless with no teathers.

Question. do any of the commercial teathers have the strength to hold body weight?

Admin Al:
I think that the BD ones will hold 2kN. there is something about tethers on the web site that Pete pointed to a while back. it's a blog about mainly ice climbing.

DMan:
While I don't ever see me using them personally I would suggest that tethers are a better idea for someone seasoned like tradmanclimbz and not a new ice climber as they can encourage some bad habits, mainly leading above your skill level due to a false sense of security.

I did loose a Quark off the top of shoestring a few years back, so who knows... I should probably try them once... I just hate anything that feels "in the way" when I'm climbing...

tradmanclimbz:
 Isa gave me crap about my teathers last season then she  followed me up Ragnarock. Somewheres on the wild 3rd pitch she realized what a world of Pooo she would be in if she lost a tool up there. She arrived at the top with nomics clipped to slings. I feel that doing any kind of real serious climb leashless without a 3rd tool or teathers is rolling the dice.  I much prefer the teathers over the weight of a 3rd tool. Those of you who claim that dropping a tool is never going to happen have your heads burried in the snow ;)

markvnh:
The first season I went leashless I climbed without tethers. I found myself over gripping the tools quite a bit - especially my weak side. Went to tethers the next year and haven't turned back. I'm much more relaxed, less pumped and no worries about dropping a tool. And honestly I don't even notice them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version