NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grivel Rambo 4's  (Read 499 times)

tstorm11

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Grivel Rambo 4's
« on: December 14, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »

Anybody have any experience with these?  I know they are lousy walking in but for hard ice they seem awesome.

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
Re: Grivel Rambo 4's
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »

Anybody have any experience with these?  I know they are lousy walking in but for hard ice they seem awesome.

I have a pair and have been using them for a bit. Negatives first:

Setup was frustrating: there are a lot of pieces and spacers and such. Do not be fooled by instructions that say everything can be adjusted with just one screw. It's easy to get the points set up in the wrong place, since the spacers are only slightly different lengths (hard to eye up). You should set them up once and plan to not change things much. For example, don't expect to use them with two different sets of boots that are a vastly different size. Allow an hour for the first assembly (it took me longer, but I am slow sometimes).

They come with heel spurs. I left mine in the box.

The anti-balling plates on mine cracked in half very quickly, and I can't find a replacement part. I had to repair them myself. This is not terrible, since walking in them really sucks anyhow, but a minor frustration.

Once set up, though, they rock. I've always felt solid, stable, and in control with them. I don't climb very hard ice, so they are probably a little too much crampon for me. They set well when you kick, and if you're going for a delicate placement you can't beat 'em. Aside from the plastic anti-balling plates, they are also very sturdy.

I'd recommend them. There is a good chance you will love them and I am sure you won't hate them.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:20:30 PM by Pete Jackson »
We came to climb, not to whine.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 05:17:28 PM »

I think that these are the ones that Brad White has and he loves them. I use the Petzl Lynx and really like them.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

tstorm11

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 05:23:22 PM »

Thanks man.
Im willing to put up with the initial set op for a rigid frame on vertical ice.  Not interested in the hear spur either.  There are not too many models of fully rigid poons out there.  I've heard the anti balling plates can break.  again not too worried about.  really just looking for a fully rigid platform.

tstorm11

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 10:20:03 PM »

Just got'em...for those who care

Pain in the ass to set up.  The Antibot is made of this rigid plastic that will prolly break.  And they are heavier than most other crampons

But,  after all that work...they fit my EVO's perfectly, no gaps, toe sits over the front point perfectly. just need to take them for a test drive.

Smear

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 06:42:54 AM »

Yea buddy,
let's talk right after Christmas and check those things out!
Bob

tstorm11

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 08:31:36 AM »

Sure thing Bobarino!!!

The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »

I like mine. You may find they move outwards at the back from kicking. The solution that finally worked for me was to have the rear bail located skewed, which is to say in holes in the crampon not directly across from each other.
Tom Stryker

tstorm11

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 06:37:52 PM »

I noticed that possibility in the heal.  thanks for the tip.

tstorm11

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »

F#$kin awsome crampon!!!  Used them at duckshead on saturday 12/28.  Rigid poons are were its at for steep ice!  Didn't notice much diference walking around the crag in them from my cyborgs.  Kinda surprised you dont see more people using them.  They were super stable on grade 4 Ice and great for scratchin around on some mixed terrain.  I think the splayed out secondary points and smaller outer front point add alot of stability.  Anti-bots did just fine but we'll see how they hold up over the season.  Fit my napal evo's (42.5) very well.  If anyone hase been eyeing these I think you will like them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 23 queries.