NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lead drill ?  (Read 1198 times)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Lead drill ?
« on: December 17, 2013, 02:32:04 PM »

i have just been hearing about a milwaukee rotary hammer that drills pretty good and weighs in at 3.9 lbs!!!  Shit, my hammer weighs 2 lbs alone....anybody ?

DaveR

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Lead drill ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »

I use the Bosch and it is a heavy beast. Is the Milwaukee a spline drive or a chuck? If it is a smaller drill that is important, the weight of a chuck absorbs a lot of energy and reduces drilling efficiency. I think Ward and those guys are still using the Bosch but I would send Ward a pm. He may have tried some of the lighter drills. I know a friend recently borrowed my beast because the smaller drill was just so slow in granite. That being said I bet his little drill is still faster than hand drilling.

You ever hand drill John? ;)

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 05:54:27 PM »

I have a 6.6lb 36v Bosch and it still feels like an anchor on my butt lead drilling.  Much better than some of the older 12+1b monsters. pretty much over hand drilling. kills my tendons.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 05:59:57 PM »

It's sds bits and i'm sure a lot slower than Bosch 36 volt....but 4 lbs is really light.. I'm thinking 2 batteries, maybe 10 holes ??? How long can a whole take ??/ 2 minutes ?

Only $250 as well

I can hand drill pretty well but i'm not really in good lead shape right now

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »

2.6 lb saveings is huge on a hard lead.  shure would be screwed if you were out on a limb and the battery crapped out;)

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 10:32:54 PM »

BITD I bought a Hilti. God knows how much it weighed (with battery 10lbs.?)

In addition to my projects, I "rented" it to others for $1/hole.

There's a boatload of of holes here in the MWV that were drilled with it. Needless to say, I made my $$ back and then some.

I put up a couple of routes ground up with it- strenuous but doable.

Gotta say, a 4lb drill woulda been a lot better.

the_other_andy

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 12:31:40 AM »

John, when you say it drills pretty good whats that mean? How many holes have you heard it can do in certain rock?
I have the Bosch Litheon 36v and it weighs 6lbs. I have 2 of the small (cigarette pack size) batts.
1 lasts about 50 holes in sandstone and anywhere from 12-15 in limestone/granite. Depends alot on drill bits. I use the hilti star bits, spendy but get way more life than the reg ones. Also plan on getting at least 50-60 holes with it handrilling which blows doors on anything else.

Tradz. I got a pack made so I can carry the drill on my back and whip it out when I need to. So much easier to climb with up to 5.10. Im guessing you know the set up for harder rtes when you pull the drill up from your last piece. 

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 05:18:23 AM »

I leave the drill with the victim/belayer in a bullet pack. haul it up when the buisness starts. I often hang it on the last piece to work out a move. A few times I have hung it and went for it without the drill but I have never tried hanging it w/ fifi and fishing it back up when sketched and needing a bolt NOW :o

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 05:22:26 AM »

I get about 10-12 holes with the small battery in the shisty? rock I am drilling. the one skinny battery that I have is getting old so will have to spring for a new one in the spring..... I did take the  front handle off the drill to save weight.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 09:39:45 AM »

It's a 3 ah battery  , so I'm thinking maybe  6 x 3" holes in rhyolite ?  Maybe 8 or 9 holes for 2.25 bolts ?  Seems like a decent deal though I'd like to try one in concrete first. Hell, getting 12-15 holes from 2 batteries sounds good at 4lbs
Hauling the 36V bosch is  tough..hell the old Bulldog was a chore.

I have always used Bosch labeled bits..power or hand drill and they seem so much better than  knock offs

the_other_andy

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 12:15:58 AM »

Tradz, there is an easy way to lead with it hanging where you don't need a fifi. You do need a thin tag line though, I use an 8mm cord.
From the last piece pull as much tag line you think you need to get you to the next drill spot. Have the line running through a seperate biner on your qdraw and clip the drill on to the tag line. Have your belayer clip off the line from below so he's holding the drill right at the biner and you have the X amount of slack from drill to you. When you get to your drill stance he unclips and you pull the drill up. Get some kind of cover for your drill to help with the scratching if your bothered about your drill.
Works slick when you get the hang of it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:23:20 AM by the_other_andy »

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 06:27:19 AM »

Thanks. Sounds good.
Nick

mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 06:33:49 AM »

I have the Bosch 18v brushless and use a "fat pack" battery. Even with the bigger battery its the lightest drill i have experienced. Gets 12 or more holes per battery in granite. I recommend getting a brushless drill, your batteries will last much longer on a single charge.

Andy, if i understand your system correctly it sounds like a good way to go. Only down side is it seems like you would need a full length tag line. Thats a lot of extra weight. I have always used a fifi and 30 ft or so of 8mm and it has always worked well. Never had the fifi slip, even with falling. Had a few snags though. With the system you described the belayer could help control the drill which could be a big advantage.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 12:04:24 PM »

Use the old Joshua Tree "style"  hang the drill from top rope and lower it for "lead" bolting..

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 05:02:13 PM »

I just bought myself a XMas present ..Milwaukee m12 kit with 2 batteries for $229, shipped   30 day money back and 3 year warranty, from CPO Milwaukee

I'll let you  know
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.