NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to donate old gear in NE?  (Read 401 times)

dgkula

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • RC.com Profile
Where to donate old gear in NE?
« on: July 07, 2004, 07:28:09 AM »

Hi,

Searched a bit and haven't found answers to this question.

Like most of you I have a gear addiction and, as such, am contemplating buying a set of new quickdraws. The ones I'm climbing with now are perfectly fine from a safety perspective, but I MUST have a new set with keylock nose biners so they won't get hung up on my gear sling when I'm pumped out.

Anyone know if there is a non-profit in the Northeast that would happily accept a donation of a set of mismatched quickdraws from the '80s? I also have an old single-slot stich (sp?) plate, shoes, harness, figure 8, etc.

Thanks,
David

cklein

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Where to donate old gear in NE?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 08:20:16 AM »

www.gravsports.com

Maintained by Will Gadd.

He has a link to a page with information on donating used gear for new climbers.  

om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 08:40:18 AM »

I usually donate to MITOC (MIT outing club). http://web.mit.edu/mitoc/www/main.html
They have been renting climbing gear for nominal price to its members and anyone can become a member.
-om

jayconway

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 12:01:12 PM »

Rumney would be a great place to donate this gear to. There are lots of routes with fixed draws. While some people dislike this (me included), it is a reality and lots of these draws and biners are old, faded, and worn out. There are plenty of people you could contact, but I would recomend talking to Tim Dehroen. If you don't know him. Send me an e-mail and I will hook you up with him.

Jay

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 12:32:18 PM »

Please, no more fixed draws at Rumney, especialy old ones with funky biners. The biners, if they are good quality, could be used on those anchors that need replacing. I would suggest dropping them off at the Rockbarn with a note to Jim Shimberg and he will get them to the right places. If the harnesses are old and you don't need a spare one for cutting tree branches or something, I would cut them up and throw them out. The same goes for the quickdraw slings; cut them up and throw them out.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

jayconway

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 12:39:47 PM »

I am not saying I like them Mark. In fact I posted something a while back bitching about them. But my feeling is that if they are going to be up there they might as well be halfway decent. That being said, those biners would be a lot better off on anchors.

Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 22 queries.