Author Topic: Colorado Springs  (Read 154 times)

Offline xmikeyx

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • The Patron Saint of Engineering
Colorado Springs
« on: July 08, 2004, 06:29:29 AM »
Hey has anyone on this board ever been out to Colorado Springs to visit or live? I'm going out there for a job interview this coming week and I'm considering moving out there if I get the position...I'm just wondering what other people think of the place? I heard it's a pretty conservative city (I'm a born and bred Massachusetts liberal), but I'm definitely looking for more info. What's the city like? What's' the surrounding area like? How's the climbing out there? What are the local ethics like? What's the climbing season? It's still a pretty decent hike from C Springs to places like Red Rocks, Zion, etc - basically I want to know if it's really worth going out there.

Any info would be awesome. Thanks.

(Oh yeah, and I have a day extra to bum around out there, anyone know a good bouldering area nearby? I'm taking my shoes and chalkbang with me.)
Climb hard, climb smart or fall...That's all there is to it.

Online tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Colorado Springs
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 07:46:44 AM »
I have no info on colorado springs. How far from Durango??? That area is really cool. You might still be pretty close to indian creek at CS?

Offline slobmonster

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • Eschew obfuscatory polysyllabicati on
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 08:59:25 AM »
Check out this link:
http://www.climbingboulder.com/rock/colorado-rock.html

The closest to the Springs that I've been climbing is Shelf Road... excellent bolted face climbing, sharp limestone.  

My two cents: go for it, you'll love it out there.  You're on the Front Range, but south of the Front Strange, and given a small investment in driving time you're pretty darn close to LOTS and LOTS of excellent, climbable rock.  It'll be a little hot in the summer, and the culture in the Springs might be more conservative than that to which you're used, but I think you'll survive.  

Offline OtisHo

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 09:19:37 AM »
There is some good bouldering in Colorado Springs as well as some good climbing at Garden of the Gods, it is right in town. Shelf road has some excellent sport climbing and is not to far away. If you want real climbing the South Platte is also not far away.
It is a conservative town but not oppresively so. Go for it.

Offline DWarriner

• NEClimbs God
  • - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 09:25:41 AM »
Climbing.  

Right near you:  

Garden of the Gods.  
60 miles away:  South Platte
90 miles away:  Eldo AND the Flatirons.

Well that's about a life time of climbing, but wait, there's more!

A 3 hour drive will get you to all sorts of great alpine climbing including (Long's Peak, Maroon Bells and countless others).  3 hours should also get you to Lumpy Ridge, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Rifle, Colorado National Monument, Vedauwoo and too many more.

The guide books for all the areas within 3 hours of you would probably overflow a bankers box.

Then there's Ouray in winter.  You're not too from some nice dessert rock around Moab (4 hours).  Also, you're a 90 minute plane ride from the Tetons, Wind River Range, Salt Lake and others.

Go!

Don't know much about the town itself, but I suspect it's definately not liberal.  I think one trip to Boulder/month could cure that.

-David
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 09:26:54 AM by DWarriner »
There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 10:24:54 AM »
I'm sure you are aware that C/S is home to the Air Force Academy. thus it is a military town and is pretty conservative. that said it does have a good art community and the economy is pretty solid. i hear it's a nice place to live & if you have a good job might be just fine.

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline cowboy

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • twisted steel and sex appeal
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 03:06:26 PM »
I think living in colorado springs will supply you with the testosterone you've always lacked living in Mass.  Be careful though, you might start going through some changes (ie believing in God, going to church, being patriotic, etc.), and your liberal friends will probably stop talking to you. ;D

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 02:36:30 PM »
Yeah, I will definately stop talking to him. The rat is going to go out there with all of that rock and ice nearby and leave me with no ice partner! :(

Offline xmikeyx

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • The Patron Saint of Engineering
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 12:12:33 PM »
Hey thanks for all the replies guys. I spent the weekend out there and it's actually a pretty nice city. Around half a million people (about 1/6th of Boston I think). You definitely don't get that claustrophobic feeling of the big city there. And a 10 minute drive will put you in the mountains and you can't see the city at all. Not too bad. And I only got invited to church once. Of course that represents about 20% of the people I met there  ::)
I have to say that if I get the job and if the offer is right then I'll have to cart my ass out there for a while. Year round climbing, no rain, 3 hours or less from damn near everywhere (RMNP, shelf road, flat irons, black canyon, south platte, eldo, etc) you can't really beat it with a big stick. But I have to say I'd miss NE and everyone.  :'( tough choice.

Well we'll see how it turns out, eh? Thanks for the input again, and if anyone actually cares I'll let you know if I go.

And come on Rob, you so wouldn't stop talking to me. You'd want the free place to stay in CO for your Sept trip. :) and you know I hate ice climbing  ;D

later,
mike
Climb hard, climb smart or fall...That's all there is to it.