NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Accident on Shoestring Today  (Read 1611 times)

David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
Accident on Shoestring Today
« on: January 10, 2014, 08:19:54 PM »

There was an accident on Shoestring today around 1 PM. We saw the rescue team on the road preparing to go up. Rumor is that someone fell 100 feet. Are there any updates? Hoping for a good outcome!

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Accident on Shoestring Today
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:37:47 PM »

I hope so, but 100' is 100'!
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

nuts

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:22:54 PM »

I think that's about accurate, fell sometime just before noon and was lowered a few pitches before MRS arrived.  He's going to be a little sore for awhile but was in very good spirits.  Let's avoid the shoulda/ woulda/ coulda discussion on this one and wish him a speedy recovery; anyone investing a lifetime in this sport has thank God moments, myself included.  There aren't missteps to analyze here without a boatload of hypocracy.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:37:21 PM by nuts »
Chris Magness

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 07:13:38 AM »

Good to hear he was awake. The early report had him "unresponsive". Good work MRS!
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 08:58:50 AM »

happy they are going to make it!  Kudos on the self rescue. Best speedy recovery.

Always nice to know what happened so that we can try to  learn with having to gain (experience) the hard way.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 12:34:02 PM »

Always nice to know what happened so that we can try to  learn with having to gain (experience) the hard way.

As the guy is there to tell what happen, a lot of knowledge can be learn. To avoid people to learn the hard way is really the mentality of accident in accident in north american mountaineering.

I remember that I went on shoestring with Base and led the steep pitch. Not paying attention because it look too easy, I plant my first ice axe in ice. than I step on my right foot in the same time that I pull my other tool to pick it higher. The ice blow on my first and second tools and i begin to felt. My left crampon enter in a jesus crack...and stop!!! At minus some thing, better to go up.

I am not the only one who was too selfconfident and make a mistake. Maybe it is what happen to the guy, but we can't learn from no information. In anam, a guy told that he climbed a 5.10. at the end, it was a pitch of 5.4. it was a warm day and he was just thinking at the beer that he would take at the camp. He didn't even know what happen when he felt. He sustain a broken harm.

So, I hope that we are going to know by the guy what happen... and at the ice festival, that we will see more guide training to have good technique for crampon instead of leading hard stuff.   

David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 02:18:19 PM »

From "NewHampshire.com"

NEW HAMPTON - A Wolfeboro ice climber was injured when he fell about 100 feet while climbing on Mount Webster in Hart's Location, authorities said Saturday.

James Nupp, 64, was hiking what is known as "shoestring gully" with a friend when he slipped and fell around noon Friday, sustaining multiple injuries that left him unable to walk.

Another climber who was above Nupp on the route witnessed the fall and then climbed higher into the gully to find cell service to call 911, according to Fish and Game.

About a dozen volunteers from the Mountain Rescue Service helped five conservation officers from Fish and Game carry Nupp down three quarters of a mile of very steep and icy terrain, authorities said.

Rescuers reached a waiting ambulance along Route 302 at about 5:30 p.m. Nupp was transported to Memorial Hospital in North Conway for further evaluation and treatment.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

A thank you to MRS and a speedy recovery to James.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:25:23 PM by David_G48 »

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »

Glad he's gonna pull through!! Hope for a speedy recovery!!!
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »

Hiking???  :-\
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

DLottmann

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 03:50:50 PM »

Hiking???  :-\

Shoestring is a great hike! Haven't you heard? It's a good warm up for hiking up Pinnacle or the Black Dike...

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 05:19:12 PM »

I just heard from Jim Nupp, the person injured on Shoestring. It seems as if he is going to be OK. He asked that anyone finding a lost black Alp Wing ice tool, would email him at lakenupps (AT) metrocast (DOT) net or phone me at 603 (DASH) 569 (DASH) 3552.
Al Hospers

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 05:50:43 PM »

How's he doing Al? And any first hand account of what happened? Was he roped up and took a lead fall or while soloing?

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 09:56:39 PM »

he was soloing with a friend...
Al Hospers

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 11:09:55 PM »

WOW! Lucky he did not go the distance!   easy to see how you could slip up there. I hiked it today and that low angle stuff is a total PINTA. Logic tells me that I must have at least one tool sunk at all times when soloing but there is no way in hell that i will crawl all the way up that thing so I end up standing up and doubble caneing for most of the low angle stuff. no way to recover from a slip in that possition. right hand finish is a bit spicy....

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 11:03:28 AM »

I end up standing up and doubble caneing for most of the low angle stuff.

doubble caneing? can you describe the technique?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 23 queries.