NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Band M  (Read 522 times)

darthgator

• NEClimbs Newbie
Band M
« on: January 13, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »

Its been a while and I have not heard any news on band-m lately.  What efforts have been made to resolve the insurance/liability issues concerning access?

DLottmann

Re: Band M
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »

Wondering this as well...

JChepes

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:17:33 PM »

Is there anything to do to help resolve access issues to this cliff or is it a done deal.  It's so close to me and I would really like to get on it.  I've never climbed there but it sure looks like a great cliff.  Bummer.  Good winter climbing spot from what I hear and boulders also.  Has anyone spoken directly to Coleman?  If there is anything I can do i would like to help out.  Do not want to make things worse either.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:58:43 PM »

Erik Eisle was supposed to be the point man on this but I haven't heard any more about it/ my understanding is that in NH a landowner is not liable for accidents if they allow people access to recreate on their land.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

JoeC

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:23:27 PM »

I Vaguely remember discussing this with an offroad club I was affiliated with both in MA and NH.  IIRC there was no liability unless a fee was charged.  That was a few years ago so that may have changed

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:38:32 PM »

I Vaguely remember discussing this with an offroad club I was affiliated with both in MA and NH.  IIRC there was no liability unless a fee was charged.  That was a few years ago so that may have changed

I don't think that has changed
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »

From my sources,, gotta be really careful with this one as Coleman also owns Albany Slabs.   it's such an awesome crag, but may be worth the wait.

The liability issue is true, but the owners still have final say.....even with no liability, they can say no

krankonthis

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 01:43:19 PM »

It is an insurance issue. They had some wiring stolen from some construction vehicles and went to get the insurance money and were denied because the area was not locked down. So they have to keep the whole area locked down.  Eric Eisele is the Access Funds regional coordinator, so he would be the person to talk to.

DLottmann

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 10:37:58 PM »

It is an insurance issue. They had some wiring stolen from some construction vehicles and went to get the insurance money and were denied because the area was not locked down. So they have to keep the whole area locked down.  Eric Eisele is the Access Funds regional coordinator, so he would be the person to talk to.

Time to switch insurance companies... typical insurance strategy... “oh, you didn’t have 24 hour armed guards protecting your vehicles?... well you should have read your contract, we don’t have to pay you now.”

And it obviously wasn’t climbers who stole the wiring...

And the place isn’t “locked down” anymore today than it was then... How is it “locked down”?

Ah bureaucracy...

The ironic part is allowing climbers on the property might deter thefts, since I know they don’t have weekend security. Then again the trucks are not parked anywhere near the cliff... I’ld love to know what the insurance company things is reasonable for “locked down”, and how that would prevent metal scavengers from stealing from them...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:41:01 PM by DMan »

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 09:41:35 AM »

Dman: Maybe someone told them that climbers talk about getting a route "wired" and they thought it was some of us! ;D

Homeless Junkie

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »

Time to switch insurance companies... typical insurance strategy... “oh, you didn’t have 24 hour armed guards protecting your vehicles?... well you should have read your contract, we don’t have to pay you now.”

And it obviously wasn’t climbers who stole the wiring...

And the place isn’t “locked down” anymore today than it was then... How is it “locked down”?

Ah bureaucracy...

The ironic part is allowing climbers on the property might deter thefts, since I know they don’t have weekend security. Then again the trucks are not parked anywhere near the cliff... I’ld love to know what the insurance company things is reasonable for “locked down”, and how that would prevent metal scavengers from stealing from them...

If only it was that easy to switch liability insurance policies! Anybody who owns a business prays to the insurance gods to keep premiums low as possible so they can keep costs down. It sucks but you do what the insurance man says. If you get dropped you're usually f*cked.. layoffs to follow. I don't know this gentlemen but I doubt Coleman's a climber so all he cares about is his employees and his business.

However I hope things work themselves out. I would think a fence around the yard would be the answer. Not kicking out locals who take care. 
I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught.. Either way I'm set for life!

krankonthis

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 05:13:27 PM »

Actually Colemans is climber/hiker. I know he has gone to Europe to bag peaks.  He is sympathetic to the climbers, its just business. 

darwined

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 05:16:43 PM »

Too many things, in life,come down to the bottom line.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:08:44 PM by darwined »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.