NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: how do YOU cut weight from your kit?  (Read 3148 times)

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
Re: how do YOU cut weight from your kit?
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2014, 09:34:07 PM »

Champ, retarder or not, I think the crux issue is cotton fibers can absorb many times their own weight of water.

if they absorb many time there own weight of water, they keep the water inside the tissue. If your first layer is hydrophobe, that means that all the water will go into the cotton. If your third layer is hydrophobe, that means that all the waer will stay for a while in the cotton. So, you keep the water inside two dry layer. Why your skin or the isolation of the outside layer can be wet?

I suggest that you try it a couple of time and after that, you will decide if you use it or not. I remembered that I was septic too. My partner stop at the top of the hike to the cliff, remove his pack and his jacket, remove the t-shirt, took a towel to remove the water on his body and put new t-shirt and his jacket. I began to red on the subject and found article on a book on the everest. They was doing that in an expedition. And I try it.

DLottmann

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2014, 10:07:10 PM »

Quote from: lucky luke link=topic=8257.msg64264#msg642
I remembered that I was septic too. My partner stop at the top of the hike to the cliff, remove his pack and his jacket, remove the t-shirt, took a towel to remove the water on his body and put new t-shirt and his jacket. I began to red on the subject and found article on a book on the everest. They was doing that in an expedition. And I try it.

I know I am not fluent in any other language, but your mis-use of words like “septic” instead of “skeptic” lead to some funny interpretations...

Anyways, stripping down to skin in the winter and towel drying is something only Ron Burgandy would do...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vp8U85dNsTQ/UQhDfRwqeqI/AAAAAAAAAOA/krpDzHZQUY8/s1600/ron-burgundy.jpg
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:00:41 PM by DMan »

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2014, 10:08:48 PM »

Champ, the fact that it is desirable to go half-naked in the cold and change the wet T-shirt means it is not a good idea to wear a wet T-shirt for long, or for the descent.  Besides, packing more T shirts and a towel to dry off with is not a way to cut weight! 
I always pack dry, clean stuff and usually leave it in the car (day trip).  During warmer months, I sometimes pack a cotton or cotton blend shirt along if I will be out for long and expect to get quite wet from rain or sweat/humidity.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2014, 11:06:16 PM »

I was wondering if anyone had tips for cutting weight from your backcountry setup that you were particularly proud of?

this is my tips to stay warm in backcountry. For me, Mt Washington is not really backcountry because there is a meteorological station at the top and a train.

it is dangerous to hang out in the cold any way. if you don't want to try it, I don't care.

ed_esmond

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • if you can't laugh at yourself..
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2014, 07:31:49 AM »

As I said, and as old people know, I used for long time silk shirt. Silk act a little bit like a vapor barier. Silk is more permeable and some people can try an aluminium foll or plastic  bag as vapor barier. But there is a problem. When you sweat a lot, the water condense on the vapor barier and fall to the ground. It is like if you pee in your pan.
I don't sugest any body to try the vapor barier like those we found in our house. sponge is a lot better.
Yes the cotton t-shirt is like a vapor barier. As the cotton keep the water close to the body, the skin "produce" less water and you most have a way to eliminate the extra heat that you produce (by the head for example)

lucky,

you're a funny guy…

i do, however; think you're missing something here.  the aluminum foil is suposed to be used as a hat (that's: chapeau) not as a shirt (chemise…)

since they both begin with ch it's easy to see how you'd confuse them….

sincerely,

loopy eddie

ps. "septic" for "skeptic,"  that's funny also…

pps. jbrochu, you are so missing an opportunity to post an animated clip of some hottie in a wet tee-shirt (think cold, wet tee shirt….)
pragmatic: (adj) dealing with the problems that exist in a specific situation in a reasonable and logical way instead of depending on ideas and theories.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2014, 09:50:40 AM »

i agree ED.. all this talk about hot,sweaty, T shirts is getting me going   ;D   

And what about the old style cotton fishnet t's  ??    NICE

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »

First time I hiked Washington in winter - Auto Road in 1967 - I wore cotton fisnet top and bottom underwear.  State of the art under the wool outer layers.  Worked fine.  I guess.

The point  is that there is not a one size fits all answer.  If the topic is about asking people how they do something and someone comes up with an unconventional response - well you asked for ideas.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2014, 11:01:36 AM »

Eric, I am not sure I needed the image in my mind of you hiking up Washington in fishnet  :o
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2014, 11:55:38 AM »

First time I hiked Washington in winter - Auto Road in 1967 - I wore cotton fisnet top and bottom underwear.  State of the art under the wool outer layers.  Worked fine.  I guess.

The point  is that there is not a one size fits all answer. If the topic is about asking people how they do something and someone comes up with an unconventional response - well you asked for ideas.

Except the unconventional response in this case doesn't address the question at all. The question was about cutting weight, and the response would cause a significant increase in weight. Also, if he's sweating so much that soaking outer garments is a serious concern then he's wearing too much stuff.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2014, 12:17:46 PM »

Except the unconventional response in this case doesn't address the question at all. The question was about cutting weight, and the response would cause a significant increase in weight. Also, if he's sweating so much that soaking outer garments is a serious concern then he's wearing too much stuff.

surprisingly it cut wait. As I got a benefit from using cotton, I can bring less clothes to stay warm. if you lost fifty percent of your isolation by damp clothes...you most have an other shirt to stay warm. T-shirt is less bulky to stuff in a pack sack and you can cut weight. Better night and less food have to be take in account.

Wearing too much means that you need space in your pack sack to stuff your clothes. But you can also loose heat by exposing the cotton t-shirt to the cold.

For multi layer, if you use four pile of a same tissue or one large of the same tissue, there is not a lot of different. If you use one tissue who act like a sponge, and other like isolation and other like skin protector against damp, a windbreaker, etc... you are more adaptable to any changing weather condition like the one that can happen on Mt Washington.

safety first.

note; I agree that there is more trick about how to stay dry by wearing less clothes. Not many people know that the body take at least twenty minutes to react to cold weather. If at the beginning you wear less clothes, your body will produce warm for that temperature, and after you can pile more clothes to be comfortable. If you begin with a lot of clothes, at each times you will remove a piece, you are going to froze because your body will take and other twenty minutes to acclimate to the new environment.     
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:20:22 PM by lucky luke »

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »

If safety was the only concern, no one would go outside. it's a matter of judgement.

If your sweating enough to soak your clothes, then you are wearing to much stuff.

The best way to cut out weight (the original topic) is to carry less and move faster. Depending on many things, this can change the safety factor quite a bit...

Ya takes Ya chances

DLottmann

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2014, 05:37:19 PM »

surprisingly it cut wait. As I got a benefit from using cotton, I can bring less clothes to stay warm...

No. Adding a wet t-shirt into your pack does not cut weight. You are now carrying a heavy frozen wet t-shirt... I am still wearing my one quick drying synthetic t-shirt.

Not many people know that the body take at least twenty minutes to react to cold weather. If at the beginning you wear less clothes, your body will produce warm for that temperature, and after you can pile more clothes to be comfortable. If you begin with a lot of clothes, at each times you will remove a piece, you are going to froze because your body will take and other twenty minutes to acclimate to the new environment.     

Did you pick 20 minutes out of thin air? My body reacts to cold weather the second I get out of the car in the parking lot of Pinkham... The point of starting the hike with less clothes is you will warm up by moving in the first 20 minutes... and if you are over dressed you can get damp from sweat early in the hike... Your body does not "acclimatize" every time you change layers...

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2014, 06:28:07 PM »

No. Adding a wet t-shirt into your pack does not cut weight.

-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2014, 06:33:09 PM »

pps. jbrochu, you are so missing an opportunity to post an animated clip of some hottie in a wet tee-shirt (think cold, wet tee shirt….)

Ed, you have a lot of good ideas in the field of animated gifs. I think you might be a natural!
-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

-Friar Tuck

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2014, 07:00:56 PM »

Nobody seems to have mentioned the 'leave-it-behind-as-you-no-longer-need-it' technique. You may as well take advantage of the Mount Washington wind. Throw the wet T-shirt up in the air and bam, out of sight, out of mind. Some rodent will be glad to find the remains in the spring for bedding materials. Hiking poles, ice ax, water bottle, pack can all go at the right time. Ideally, within a quarter mile of Pinkham you could be down to your fishnet stockings, cell phone and car keys.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 23 queries.