NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 rescued from Mt. Washington last night  (Read 2540 times)

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: 4 rescued from Mt. Washington last night
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »

Mountains are supposed to be dangerous... that's part of the point in climbing them. Folks who venture into the mountains should be responsible for getting their asses home weather or not some official decides conditions warrant a "you are now liable" warning.  It wasn't that long ago when this was the case. Rescues were a mostly volunteer effort and not very reliable. You went into the mountains knowing there would be no rescue...if you ever even thought about it.

Rescue insurance for $25 IS a good deal, however this isn't really insurance in the strict sense... it's just a random pool of money we all hope is enough to defray the ever increasing costs of rescuing an ever increasing number of morans doing an ever increasing number of moronic things.

Yes people make mistakes, have oops moments.  Heading up Mt Washington mid winter totally unprepared is not a mistake. I can't say what is is, other than maybe some form of mental illness having to do with a severe lack of judgement combined with an over regard of ones own abilities.  A mistake is leaving the bottle opener in the car.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:38:52 PM by frik »

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2014, 02:32:46 PM »

OK, the old dumb guy needs educating again: What is a SPOT device?

It's basically a rescue beacon. You push a button and it alerts somebody (I think you pay a subscription fee) that you are in trouble and sends them your GPS coordinates. That somebody then alerts the proper authorities. It gets service where cell phones don't.

I find it troubling that a group would bother to carry a SPOT and yet not carry a map.

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »

OK, the old dumb guy needs educating again: What is a SPOT device?

It's basically a rescue beacon. You push a button and it alerts somebody (I think you pay a subscription fee) that you are in trouble and sends them your GPS coordinates. That somebody then alerts the proper authorities. It gets service where cell phones don't.

I find it troubling that a group would bother to carry a SPOT and yet not carry a map.

What (other pointless stuff) will they think of next. I'd certainly rather pay for the hiker card than a subscription fee to assuage my paranoia, but I'm probably too cheap to pay either. But I guess if I got a SPOT and a PAS and a few other acronyms I should be adequately protected from my own stupidity.

It's very troubling that they would have one of these instead of a map and compass. Reminiscent of the guy on the glacier in Alaska who proudly said he and his buddies didn't need to rope up crossing the glacier because they all had avalanche beacons.  ::)

If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

darwined

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »

Katahdin ? Is that a dangerous place  :D

Just bring a couple extra cotton tees, a cell phone, a spot device, and some ham sammiches and you'll be fine.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2014, 04:51:20 PM »

Last time i climbed on the big K i certainly had t-shirts and

sammies..it was before cell phones, but i did bring a hammer and some pins !

I think spot annual subscriptions are $200..not sure though

DLottmann

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2014, 05:52:55 PM »

The problem with "closing" IMO is when someone gets hurt when it is officially "open", they try for litigation.

Live Free or Die... I hate when things are closed (looking at you Spring skiing in Katahdin).

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2014, 08:35:25 AM »

For as long as i can remember, climbers have been complaining about the access policies at Katahdin. Now after a few retards need rescuing on MT Washington, people are willing to implement the same policies here?  After a few people get hurt ice climbing on Cathedral maybe we should close that too.... where does it end?

"Warning; the state of NH board of outdoor safety has closed Frankenstein cliff to climbing for the upcoming weekend due to high probability of above freezing temperatures."

FT

PS: Yes i know the state of Maine has recently relaxed their safety policies at Baxter... 

darwined

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2014, 09:01:40 AM »

For as long as i can remember, climbers have been complaining about the access policies at Katahdin. Now after a few retards need rescuing on MT Washington, people are willing to implement the same policies here?  After a few people get hurt ice climbing on Cathedral maybe we should close that too.... where does it end?

"Warning; the state of NH board of outdoor safety has closed Frankenstein cliff to climbing for the upcoming weekend due to high probability of above freezing temperatures."

F

PS: Yes i know the state of Maine has recently relaxed their safety policies at Baxter...
. I completely agree with you but,  the suits aren't going to let rescues soak up piles of money forever.  The AMC should step up to the plate on this one.  3 bucks a car

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2014, 09:40:02 AM »

Well the state or anyone else for that matter isn't actually required to rescue anyone right now. As soon as you start charging a fee, there becomes an implied obligation. 

Just stop nighttime rescues, and the helicopters, you've probably solved about 90% of the funding issue right there.

Problem solved, now can we go back to threads involving stupid shit LL says?

neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »

In reality, closing the mountain or charging 3 bucks to park isn't going to solve a thing. There's just too many access points. Also, how does charging 3 bucks help stymie the costs for MSR in Franconia or Willard?

Same thing with the hike safe card. Sure 25 bucks from every hiker sounds like a lot of money, maybe even enough to offset the costs of a few rescues. However, the actual costs of the card in terms of printing, distribution, education, advertising, filing, fund administration, etc... Greatly reduces the actual usefulness. Then comes who gets the reimbursement? And eventually what do you do with the left over funds at the end of every fiscal year? Could the Franconia Fire Dept apply for excess funds to be used for new ambulance tires?

Pretty soon NH is going to have to change their motto to "live free and the cost will kill you"

What the world really needs is someone to invent a retard-O- meter. I've been working on one but the stupid thing only beeps when I'm in the room.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:58:44 AM by neiceclimber »

The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 10:09:33 AM »

With all due respect, I always call these forums discussion boards, so I end up mystified why people respond directly to the post just prior by quoting the entire thing above. It seemed to me that was part of the demise of RC.com.

I find myself imagining I am at a cocktail party where everyone repeats what you just said before they answer...

Not directed at Darwined, just seems silly to me.

Carry on as my friend Dale would say...
Tom Stryker

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 10:29:52 AM »

I like the card idea... I would buy one, just to support the cause if nothing else.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 10:29:59 AM »

With all due respect, I always call these forums discussion boards, so I end up mystified why people respond directly to the post just prior by quoting the entire thing above. It seemed to me that was part of the demise of RC.com.

I find myself imagining I am at a cocktail party where everyone repeats what you just said before they answer...

Not directed at Darwined, just seems silly to me.

Carry on as my friend Dale would say...

I totally agree.

DLottmann

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »

This was just shared on Pemi S&R FB page... I'm sharing it here as I think it's a good example of how not everyone who needs a rescue was being careless. Sometimes shit happens. When it does, it's great to see a response like this one;

"A thank you note from our December 27 carryout from the rescued person, Peter Hapgood.

Dear Search and Rescue Volunteers,

My name is Peter Hapgood, though you may know me better as Callout #15. I want to thank each and every one of you that put your life on hold to come to my assistance on the Old Bridle Path on December 27th. I was overwhelmed and humbled by the generosity and compassion of the 25 volunteers that braved the cold and dark to assist a hiker in need.

Earlier that day, my hike on Mount Lafayette was interrupted by a twist, a fall and a crunch. Though I'd never broken a bone before, I knew in an instant that something unfortunate and irreversible had just occurred. From where I landed I was able to trace with my eyes the contour of the ridge I'd need to descend to get back to the trailhead. It would be 3-1/2 miles down a steep, rocky, snow & ice covered trail. I rested for a bit before getting up and trying to walk, but when I did it was obvious that I wouldn't be able to manage the descent on my own.

I was relieved to discover I had cell phone reception, and dialed 911. They listened as I sheepishly explained my predicament, then patched the call over to the NH Fish and Game Department. Without a trace of hesitation, I was told that a team of rescuers would come to my assistance. Within 45 minutes after making that call, I had the good fortune of meeting Jeff and JoAnn Fongemie. Without even discussing it amongst themselves they altered their plans. They spent the next 8 hours keeping me company, carrying my pack and assisting the other rescuers. My wait would have been very lonely without them.

It never escaped me just how hard each of you was working to lower me down the trail. You each made me feel like there was no other place that you'd rather be. In just a few short hours, you transported me from a world of darkness, snow and ice, to the comfort & warmth of an ambulance. I don't believe I've ever been so happy to smell diesel fumes!

I was sad to learn that one of the members of the SAR team sustained an injury during the decent. I hope it was minor and that recovery is quick.

You didn't have to drop everything to come to the mountain. You didn't have to carry all that gear up just to turn around and come right back down. You didn't have to come to my rescue...but you did. And for that I am eternally grateful.

Thank you to James Kneeland for providing telephone updates to my wife throughout the afternoon and evening. To all the volunteers of the Mountain Rescue Service, the Pemigewasset Valley Search and Rescue Team, the New Hampshire Fish & Game Department & the U.S. Forest Service: Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »

Mountains are supposed to be dangerous... that's part of the point in climbing them.

I think that it is a misunderstanding of why we climb the mountain. Mountain are not dangerous. I saw dog attacking an human, never saw a mountain attacking some one. We climb mountains because they are there.

I think that mountain is risky and people who violate his serenity without respecting them will pay the big price. It is always our decision to go or not in the mountain and even if we have objective danger, it is our duty to understand the phenomena and to protect our self.

When accident happen, I think that it is an honor to be able to help, not a job. And every of us most know how to help an other or, at least, self rescue. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 22 queries.