Author Topic: Questions from a transplant (partners, other beta)  (Read 501 times)

Offline phil

• NEClimbs Newbie
Questions from a transplant (partners, other beta)
« on: January 27, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »
Hello!

Originally from Ohio, I've just accepted a job offer in Lancaster, NH and will be in the area looking for a place to live nearby probably toward the end of the week. If anyone or anyone who knows anyone who is looking for a room mate in the area, I would definitely be interested.

Also, I am hoping to get out and do some ice climbing as soon as possible. This is my first season ice climbing, so I still have a lot to learn, but I have gone out with an experienced partner and have gotten a decent amount of mileage and instruction already so I think I'm well on my way, led WI2 comfortably. I have all gear except ice screws, which I will hopefully acquire soon. Along with that, I have over 5 years of experience on rock and am a safe and good natured climbing partner.

Lastly, if anyone can offer some general beta on the area (which guidebooks to get, good eats, etc.) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for reading, feel free to contact me at pschuld7[at]gmail[dot]com

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: Questions from a transplant (partners, other beta)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:25:27 PM »
Grab a copy of "An ice climbers guide to Northern New England" at IME in North Conway and you'll have a foundational guide book for the areas ice climbs.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline phil

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »
Good suggestion, it sounds like that is definitely the one to get. I've had the NE Select guide for a while but it certainly won't cut it out there for long

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 02:06:54 PM »
So, Phil, any word on whether you'll be seeing your shadow this weekend?
Our/your ice season may depend on your answer.

Dale
(Yeah, I know, you're from OH, not PA, but ... eh, close enough!)
(Also, I may have a few screws to send your way.  Send me a PM if you're interested.)
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline phil

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:00:05 AM »
I hope I see it...otherwise the prospect of finding a partner will be even more difficult. Plus, I could sure 'gopher' plenty more ice this season (yuck, yuck, yuck).

I would definitely be interested in taking some screws off your hands. I'll probably shoot you a PM once I'm settled into my new digs, wherever that may be, sometime next week.

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 01:20:33 PM »
"Gopher".
(chuckle)

Let me know - I've got a couple of screws to swap for new ones, old ones still have some life in 'em.
Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

Offline Stuclimbs

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 10:17:21 PM »
Hey,
where did you end up moving too? I has just moved to Campton which is just off 93 near Lincoln. I am looking for a partner to head out with. I dont have a whole bunch of ice experience but I have a few screws and Im a quick learner and have a lot of time on rock.
Stu