Author Topic: SPOT & Cell Phones and Search & Rescue  (Read 574 times)

DLottmann

SPOT & Cell Phones and Search & Rescue
« on: February 01, 2014, 08:56:54 PM »

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: SPOT & Cell Phones and Search & Rescue
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »
Good one by Erik Eisle.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 09:19:25 PM »
...Rick's comment about technology causing the accident is "spot on." Pun intended...

DLottmann

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 09:20:16 PM »
...Rick's comment about technology causing the accident is "spot on." Pun intended...

It's technology causing the rescue... when there is no accident.

EDIT: though I agree the technology is also causing some accidents when people leave behind other essentials. Like map & compass as Lentini pointed out...

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:04:06 PM »

It's technology causing the rescue... when there is no accident.

EDIT: though I agree the technology is also causing some accidents when people leave behind other essentials. Like map & compass as Lentini pointed out...

The flaw in that line of thinking is that a person who relies on cellphone technology as their lifeline is most likely (IMO) to have no idea how to effectively use a map and compass.

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:25:42 AM »
You guys on the rescue teams must be angels. I swear if I got out of bed in the middle of the night to go up on the hill to rescue someone who set off a SPOT device because they had a leg cramp I think I would sink my ice tool into his skull.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 12:34:10 AM »

rick's comment, as I understand it, was that the rescuers are people.  if they know how to climb the mountain, find people and go back to the base camp, it is because the rescuer are skill, not because they have technology.

If the people want to learn skill, they will go in the mountain with those rescuers. They will learn the common sense by there own: with a Guide.

If they use cell phone, SPOT, AVY post and bring them in the cliff as if they are a skill climber...they are in trouble. they climb with guide.

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:35:45 PM »

rick's comment, as I understand it, was that the rescuers are people.  if they know how to climb the mountain, find people and go back to the base camp, it is because the rescuer are skill, not because they have technology.

If the people want to learn skill, they will go in the mountain with those rescuers. They will learn the common sense by there own: with a Guide.

If they use cell phone, SPOT, AVY post and bring them in the cliff as if they are a skill climber...they are in trouble. they climb with guide.

Will someone please translate this gibberish to me?

Offline SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 07:41:39 AM »
A well written article, which is "spot on".

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »
What, Ken, you do not understand the difference between guide and Guide?  Back to remedial class for you! :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ