NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this sport exploding or what?  (Read 1609 times)

DGoguen

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Re: Is this sport exploding or what?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 07:42:56 PM »

Hey, I still have all my teeth and get a woody every morning, so ease up on me!

Damn,  I'm battin' .500 again.

Don't Climb

smartpig

• NEClimbs God
  • There is only one kind of magic and this is ‘doing
    • Valhalla Publishing
Re: Is this sport exploding or what?
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 10:53:40 PM »

Here is some fashion for you all:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:05:31 PM by smartpig »
Jamie Cunningham
Franconia, NH

Jamie Cunningham Photography: http://www.jamiecunninghamphoto.com

The Notches guidebook Facebook page ("like" it!):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/valhallapublishing/

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 06:54:48 AM »

It's still surprising to me how many new folks are entering this sport every year. After all, the $$ barriers to entry are pretty darn high. It's really easy to be walking around with over $1,500 in clothing and gear - probably over $2k if you're a leader! It's a pretty affluent community. Maybe the economy is doing better than I hear...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 08:30:17 AM »

I loved placing the snargs....cleaning them sucked donkey..which provided enough incentive for me to always stay on the sharp end!!  ;)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

ralbert20

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 09:49:37 AM »

Al- I think it is more the type of crowd this sport attracts. Look around and ask, and you'll see we are mostly engineers, doctors and scientists. Usually those types have plenty of cash on hand...

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 10:38:36 AM »

Al- I think it is more the type of crowd this sport attracts. Look around and ask, and you'll see we are mostly engineers, doctors and scientists. Usually those types have plenty of cash on hand...

We were just talking about this at ice fest! I am an artist...no mathematical mind whatsoever..can only count to 21 when I am naked!! By far more mathematically and science minded folks in both rock and ice climbing by far! I think my creative inclinations are what attract me to the sport and I tend to do things a bit differently than my counterparts...outside the box I suppose?? ;)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »

Usually those types have plenty of cash on hand...

plenty of cash???? where???

I think it is one of the problem of climbing, those who earn plenty of cash and have less time to climb . Before, the climber climb and those who want to pay for a guide learned with climber who study to climb by skipping there courses to go in the mountain. When you belay for an hour on a shitty anchor, you are less stress by two good nuts in a pitch with a clean fall. No guide can teach that, but you can bring a person to his limit and see what will happen...and protect him from his mistake when he do one.

Today, with the emphasis on accessibility to every one and technology, many climber think that it is better to pay for a spot device and spend the day on a route that will show how good they are than to train for safety. We don't see very often people working out arrest at each years or before going to a place where it can save the life of a climber.

Conclusion, follow the sign: avy post and spot device is your back up...instead of knowing the mountain, playing in the snow/ice and bringing the team together.   

DLottmann

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »

New and Exciting, that's for that very original view Lucky Luke.

Back to the topic instead of LL's drivel I definitely notice this. I'ld even say most ice climbers are lumped into 1 of 3 categories:

1) Business professionals that can afford the gear (despite paying off high education loans).

2) Hard working blue-collar folks like Firemen/Military who spend their earned vacation time wisely.

3) Climbing Bums who earn low wages working retail but enjoy lots of pro-deals on equipment and climb after or before work 150+ days a year, outside.

Oh, then there is us, the evil "guides", or "Guides"... not sure which one LL has me classified as...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:23:04 PM by DMan »

WanderlustMD

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »

We were just talking about this at ice fest! I am an artist...no mathematical mind whatsoever..can only count to 21 when I am naked!!

Aaaaannnnd that just about made me puke.

;D

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 03:57:44 PM »

Grammy- if it's really cold, is  that 20  or a minus 1 ?   :o

LL i know plenty of people who pay guides because they are short of time ('cause they work) and want a quality day or 2 out...they are experienced and  know what they are doing as well.
Unless your a thief,you pay for your gear and ice gear is $$$,,,so yes, money is afactor

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 07:13:40 PM »

Aaaaannnnd that just about made me puke.

;D

Oh you love it brother!!!! ;D

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »

Here is some fashion for you all:

High tech was the foamback!  You sweat like a pig on every lead, then it turned to ice on the belays.  Oh, and it wasn't really waterproof either.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 07:15:02 PM »

Grammy- if it's really cold, is  that 20  or a minus 1 ?   :o

-3 if you get my drift  :P

darwined

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »

I think the return on investment is what's drawing so many climbers into the sport.  Most people only get to see the mountains through the window of a car or on the calendar hanging from the fridge.  We get to see them from the end of a rope.  That's worth a bunch.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »

Wear cotton, Ward.  You had it wrong.  LL/Champ knows best :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 24 queries.