Author Topic: North American Power  (Read 484 times)

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
North American Power
« on: February 10, 2014, 07:17:24 AM »
I had a hard time understanding why my electric bill was so high the last 2 months.  I attributed the December bill being high to the fact that the boiler was out for 24++ hours and we were heating with space heaters and the electric oven during that period. Then I got the email Saturday morning with January's bill- just a couple bucks less.... Both of them in the $230-240 range. Even running the window A/C's in the summer it rarely approaches $200...

With e-billing I haven't really looked at the statements like I should. Mistake, big mistake. About a year ago, my wife tried to switch us over to North American Power for our electric supplier (PSNH is who our power is through). I didn't want to switch since I had already signed up with Electricity NH several months before.  Somehow, without my realizing it, NAP switched us over to them. I haven't found the statements between February and August last year yet to determine when the switch was actually made, but it was in that timeframe.

Fastforward to yesterday, when I started looking at the bills, NAP is charging almost 19 cents per KWh to supply the power! ENH is advertising less than half of that rate (around 8-9 cents). $165 of my bill was related to NAP.... So, someone at both PSNH and NAP with be hearing from me today, and ENH will certainly be getting a customer back.

Check your bill folks, especially if you've talked to NAP in any way shape or form in the past. I did not authorize the switch but they did it anyway. Judging by a couple of posts on their facebook page, they've hacked the rates up on others as well.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: North American Power
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:21:13 AM »
good catch & thnX for the heads up.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:10:24 AM »
My bill has also been much higher than normal the last 2 months. My bill comes from PSNH but I don't have the last stub. Are you saying it's possible that PSNH switched us without permission to a different supplier?

I don't understand how all this works but I have been getting a letter every couple of months from North American Power trying to get us to switch. However, I've never gone any further than looking at the letter certainly never called them or anything...
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:09:21 AM »
There was somethimg in the Union Leader a few months ago about NAP doing this. Can't remember the mechanism of how they do this so to speak but - but they do. It's not legal. Call the state attorney generals office or consumer protection agency.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »
Utilities are really slugging it out now..mainly because of natural gas generation.. They get commited to sources like coal and nuclear and then can't switch over (or won't).
Does NH have a price fix situation ? 

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:03:27 AM »
JBrochu-
If you go online you should be able to view your bills, especially if you have e-billing.  Look at the left side of the first page, towards the middle of the page it should say who is supplying the electricity. On the back of the first page where it has the breakdown it should also say who is supplying the electricity next to the "electricity supply detail". 

PSNH won't switch you.  You legally have to go through either NAP or ENH (or any other electrical supplier, but those are the 2 that I know of other than PSNH) and sign up through them, then they will make the switch with PSNH.  That being said, I never authorized NAP to switch me to them but somehow they did it.  My wife tried to switch us over (long story) but I didn't want to switch since I was happy with ENH.  Supposedly they couldn't switch us since she wasn't an authorized person on the account.

FWIW, when you look at the bill, PSNH is currently supplying electricity at 9.2 cents/KWh.  I don't know what their past rates were, but if I had to guess it was in that range.  ENH is at 8.5 cents on their 6 month program that I just re-enrolled for this morning.  NAP for the month of January charged 18.99 cents, December was 13.99 cents and November was 11.49 cents.  When you get back to October it's close to the 9.2 cents that PSNH is now charging...

I called NAP first thing this morning and was quite clear- I want a credit on my account for the overage from November through January, back down to the 9.2 cent rate- which I figured out to be over $120 for December and January alone.  She said it could be a week before I heard back; I gave them 3 days.  I also called the NH Public Utilities Commission and left a voicemail with someone there to start the process of filing a complaint.

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »
..NH is a "competition" state where power costs are not regulated. Hence these third party power suppliers started to appear a couple years ago attesting to how much they can save you. Not!

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:26:20 PM »
Thanks for your help. I was able to verify that my current supplier is still PSNH. Apparantly the last bill that was extremely high had 5 weeks of power on it due to when the meter got read. In addition, on January 1st they went up 2 cents per klwh which was almost a 25% increase for that portion of the bill.

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 08:00:38 PM »
A bit of a resolution to this came last week.  A guy from NAP called me- thinking it was another automated "your payment is late" call like I had received 2 days prior I almost laid right into him at the start. :D  Eventually ended up with a $165 credit/refund on my account that took care of all of the months that they charged me more than what PSNH was charging to supply electricity.  The credit was based on what PSNH was charging, not what I should have been paying through ENH.  He did tell me that my next bill may be charged through them and if that is the case to call him and they will issue yet another refund.  The guy at the Public Utilities Commission called me back the next day to make sure things had been resolved.  Whether NAP would have called me back to resolve things on their own without me called the PUC is an unknown, but I'm glad I called the PUC regardless.

As for how I got "signed up" with them, supposedly my wife did it and she is supposedly a rep for them...  News to me that she is a rep, and she knew nothing about it either.  Regardless, I never authorized it.

He did say that the reason the rates went so high is because they pre-buy their power and with the "unprecedented demand" that they have experienced they simply ran out and then had to go to the "open market to buy power at a premium" and "unfortunately" that increased rate had to get passed on to the final user with their variable rate.... ::)  Which is proof yet again that I never authorized the switch- I don't agree to variable rates!

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »
Nice work, Dan.  Got to stand up and assert your consumer's rights!

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

darwined

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 08:32:53 PM »
A bit of a resolution to this came last week.  A guy from NAP called me- thinking it was another automated "your payment is late" call like I had received 2 days prior I almost laid right into him at the start. :D  Eventually ended up with a $165 credit/refund on my account that took care of all of the months that they charged me more than what PSNH was charging to supply electricity.  The credit was based on what PSNH was charging, not what I should have been paying through ENH.  He did tell me that my next bill may be charged through them and if that is the case to call him and they will issue yet another refund.  The guy at the Public Utilities Commission called me back the next day to make sure things had been resolved.  Whether NAP would have called me back to resolve things on their own without me called the PUC is an unknown, but I'm glad I called the PUC regardless.

As for how I got "signed up" with them, supposedly my wife did it and she is supposedly a rep for them...  News to me that she is a rep, and she knew nothing about it either.  Regardless, I never authorized it.

He did say that the reason the rates went so high is because they pre-buy their power and with the "unprecedented demand" that they have experienced they simply ran out and then had to go to the "open market to buy power at a premium" and "unfortunately" that increased rate had to get passed on to the final user with their variable rate.... ::)  Which is proof yet again that I never authorized the switch- I don't agree to variable rates!
"unprecedented demand" in January?  Sounds like manure to me.