NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Gulf Questions  (Read 992 times)

DLottmann

Re: Great Gulf Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 02:10:43 PM »

Nice pics, looks like a fun trip...

One thought though...

Walking down the auto-road sucks (and is discouraged by NH State Parks & the Auto Road itself). Why not hike down Lion's Head instead? Half the distance, and less exposed to weather...

angeloks

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 02:55:52 PM »

Walking down the auto-road sucks (and is discouraged by NH State Parks & the Auto Road itself). Why not hike down Lion's Head instead? Half the distance, and less exposed to weather...

We were parked at the Great Gulf trailhead. The original plan was to reach the Wamsutta trail and go back on the Great Gulf trail, but we didn't feel like postholing for another 3 miles... We crossed many people from both the Autoroad and State Park, nobody seemed to care about us. Although long and boring, the view is quite nice on the Autoroad. But indeed, I don't really plan to hike it again....

DLottmann

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 10:38:58 PM »

Right on... Iíve only been down it once to meet up with State after a S&R for that Eagle Scout a few years ago... but I know many have used it to bail when there are better options. Going down LH, if properly equipped, is often safer (and way faster, including the hitchhike back to GG trailhead), but I doubt State/Autoroad would say anything (though they probably talk about you over the radio).

Bottom line is folks shouldnít rely on auto-road as a good descent option due to the extended exposure time above tree-line, but no biggie if you are prepared. Distance wise it is 2x the distance above tree-line and 2x total mileage compared to LH, but hey, if you donít mind a longer walk and are not stretched thin who cares?

Spring post-holing does SUCK. More importantly, where where you enjoying the tall drafts after?

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 07:15:45 AM »

great pictures... looks like it was an amazing trip. ThnX for posting....
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 09:22:48 AM »

Nice trip.
I would think the fastest way in and out of the Gulf would be from the opposite side (Cog base station). Just follow the tracks and bang a slight left at the top. Its a pretty direct route which skiers do all the time. If you are bringing pons and an ice axe anyhow, then the decent down to Spalding would be pretty safe & easy.   

DLottmann

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 12:55:03 PM »

...then the decent down to Spalding would be pretty safe & easy.

DEEP Spring Post-holing and impossible water crossings due to melt off make this a bad choice... pretty much what stranded that Eagle Scout for 3 days before he finally headed back up to the ridge...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 22 queries.