NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Tele Gear  (Read 307 times)

hobbsj

• NEClimbs Full Member
Need Tele Gear
« on: February 14, 2014, 03:54:42 PM »

I've wanted to tele for years.  And my buddy gave me a pair of his old skis.  So naturally, I have to go and get everything else because, hey, I have skis.  Anybody aware of any used gear shops in the Portland area?  I'm needing bindings and boots... Possibly skins, but let's be realistic here (did find out that some mountains offer a $10 ticket if you skin up so kinda makes sense).  I've visited IME and Ragged with no luck in my size (26.5 or 27 ish).  And Play It Again was no help. So if you have gear you need to get rid of or know of a shop, let me know.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:57:00 PM by hobbsj »

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
Re: Need Tele Gear
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:44:01 PM »

Keep an eye on the time for tucks forum for used gear. Also pretty soon the spring clearance sales will be on for all the online retailers and you can get up to 50% off on a lot of stuff.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

slevasse

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »

It's not a local place but geartrade.com usually has a good assortment of gear in a number of categories.  I actually picked up my tele boots there and had no problems.  It's hit or miss with whether it's a good deal or not, depends on how desperate the person is too sell I guess.   

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:01:19 AM »

Unfortunately skis are typically the least expensive and easiest to obtain component of the tele kit. If you are particular (most skiers are) then boots will be your biggest outlay. There are lots of cheap tele boots on ebay (you don't even need to bid) but if you are uncomfortable with purchasing boots over the internet, then your next best bet is the end of season (in the next few weeks) sales at REI & EMS. I would call EMS Portsmouth and ask to talk to Roger, he's an AT guy, but understands tele, and understands "bargain". Another option is Telemarkdown.com, they started out as kind of the "Marshall's" of tele gear(seconds, discontinued, excess inventory) and have some decent prices for new gear. If you don't mind driving to NH, you can try on boots. I haven't checked for a few years so can't vouch they are still as good as they originally were, but i would take a look.

Bindings can be had for pretty cheap online especially the non hinged style. Over the years I've bought lots of used skis and bindings on line and never had an issue.   

These places have used gear forums and are good places to find tele gear:
http://www.telemarkeast.com/forums/
http://www.backcountrytalk.earnyourturns.com/vb/forum.php

These guys have a huge thread devoted to used gear... kind of scary.
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/3-Ski-Snowboard

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »

Thread hijack for a moment.... Educate this Indiana raised flatlander- what's the difference between 'tele' and AT?

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 08:35:24 PM »

Tele you crash about 3 times per run while AT you only crash a couple of times per day.  :P
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 07:59:29 AM »

AT you heels are free on the up and lock on the down allowing you to make typical alpine turns. Telemark the heel is free and you drop a knee to turn.

In the past I've had good look scouring craigslist, OGE, other forums, and bargain basements. I'd search for the right binding on a junky ski buy that and then put it on another ski that better suited me.

Roger is a kook and spends too much time stroking his ego.

Personally, I'd stay away from any EMS not located in a mountain town for mountings, but they do have good ski deals from time to time. Likewise, I'd stear clear of REI for mountings, but again from time to time deals can be great.

OGE in burlington has a good selection of used boots and from time to time skis. They tend to be on the heavier resort style ski. They have a pretty strong new ski department, and some of their blemish sales are as cheap as they come.

Allspeed cycles in portland is also pretty good. I believe the owners name is Chris.

Used to be another good spot outside of Mt Abram in ME. Guy was a little weird but he had a wonderful selection.

Stowe has a spot on the mtn rd that if I remember correctly has demo skis for sale.

There is also a place in Farmington that once had a good selection, but I think they've changed and now tend to be on the expensive side.

Bath had a shop on rt 1 heading toward Wiscasset that I believe had a few used pieces of gear. I used them once for a mount and they messed it up but it was cheap and easily corrected.

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 11:23:13 AM »

Used to be another good spot outside of Mt Abram in ME. Guy was a little weird but he had a wonderful selection.

Stowe has a spot on the mtn rd that if I remember correctly has demo skis for sale.

There is also a place in Farmington that once had a good selection, but I think they've changed and now tend to be on the expensive side.

Whoa, blasts from the past!
My second setup came from that shop outside Mt Abram; (you're right, that guy was a little out there but had lots of choices and good turnaround on mounting).
The shop in Farmington was called Aardvark Outfitters and they had a narrow selection of better-end gear and a pretty generous helping of hubris.  They may still do some flyfishing guiding but no more ski stuff, I think.  Was seldom worth the time unless you found consignment gear your size.

IME and Ragged's basements have tele stuff off and on.  Spot-on advice to find a good setup or reasonable bindings on crap skis and swap them out.  Boots will make or break your vibe, especially if you do much of the 'up' in them.  Worth buying everything else used and new boots that fit you WELL.  You can always upgrade the rest of the setup around the boots.

Dale

(edit for horrendous spelling; also, my first rig was Voile Red Chilis from PlayItAgain in Portland ($59!) on some skinny alpine skis - what a trainwreck that was!)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:05:32 PM by perswig »
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »

Yeah, the Abram guy was interesting, you could usually get him to give you some deep discounts just by shooting the shit with him for a bit. If I remember correctly he had a real distaste for the internet shopper and out of staters.

First rig was a free pair of 215 purple rossignols with voiles and Merrill supercomps, rode these until my foot pretty much busted through the leather.

Another spot that might work is with college outing clubs. You can call around and see if any have upcoming clearances, some sell old gear some don't.

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 02:07:02 PM »

Supercomps!!!!!!!!
Holy crap, what a boot.  Threw a pair out after cleaning the shed several years ago; the mice got more quality mileage out of them than I ever did, that's for certain.
Good times.

This reminds me that I'm overdue for an upgrade of my gear soon anyway.  T2's buckles barely hold anymore and the Velcro's worn right away, cartridges are getting flat, skis have seen too many rocks.
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 23 queries.