NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quite the send!  (Read 970 times)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: Quite the send!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 06:47:08 PM »

Bachar died on a 5.11 that he had done maybe 200 times..shoulder issue made his arm lock and he couldn't keep the hold.  Jimmy Jewel, a UK dude hadsoloed many 5.11/12 grippers and went on a 5.5 in Wales. Derek " Dr Death" on a 5.9..etc

Most hard core soloists are stil here...Croft, Braun,,Potter etc..i wish them luck and carry on

it's part of the game..love it or leave it

Al Rubin " I just saw the best climber and the worst climber ever."  Bachar then Yabo soling the Beaver 12A in josh

The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 07:16:54 PM »

An incredible feat!

I think on Supertopo a famous Gunkie mentioned 3rd classing used to be private.

When I watch this, all I see is North Face. North Face tweaks stuff, and the expenditures involved have to put immense pressure on these people. I really wonder if Alex Lowe would still be alive. I feel the same about Johnny Copp and Micah Dash, they looked scared before they went, big costs, China, want to keep it going.

Alex Honnold does not ever have to prove anything again. He can rope up and be a hero. I hope he does.

T.
Tom Stryker

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »

An incredible feat!

When I watch this, all I see is North Face. North Face tweaks stuff, and the expenditures involved have to put immense pressure on these people. I really wonder if Alex Lowe would still be alive. I feel the same about Johnny Copp and Micah Dash, they looked scared before they went, big costs, China, want to keep it going.

Alex Honnold does not ever have to prove anything again. He can rope up and be a hero. I hope he does.

I agree with you Tom. I think that soloing is some thing personal and used to be private.

I saw a video on peter Croft and the producer want to make a film on one route that he want to do. Croft told them the day and hour where he was going to make his try and told them that he will climb it with or without them. The video was more an epic for the cameraman to be in position to take the picture than for Croft who smootly climbed the route.

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 07:29:53 AM »

Hey John,

Don't get me wrong, when I questioned Alex solo, in the above video. Hell, the traverse in Patagonia, he did with Caldwell, was probably just as dangerous, in a different setting. I think free-soloing is the purest form of climbing and I did a lot of it last summer. Unlike me, Alex is pushing the envelope pretty hard. I'm sure he knows the risk, as well.
 Like many other climbers, I just hope Alex makes it to old age. Enough said.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 09:32:08 AM »

Alex is getting old !  maybe 30  ;)
For me, some of his stuff in Zion is SO impressive..he soloed 3 big routes ,easy in a day..i have failed on 2 of them.

Climbing with Croft was like soling with a rope..just so smooth that you barely notice him placing gear..like bachar

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 07:36:16 PM »

Every time I watch one of his films I just click through the highlight reel that we'll be seeing when one hold breaks and gravity takes him.
    I agree that the whole internet hype around him has now taken over. If he just stopped soloing and climbed at the level he is at he would be a great climber; one of his generations best. BUT would TNF ever make another film of him if the soloing stops? Would people be in awe of another achevement if he did it roped? I think he's stuck now and sadly he may just be quickly ticking down the climbs till his last because of it.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 07:17:15 PM »

Every time I watch one of his films I just click through the highlight reel that we'll be seeing when one hold breaks and gravity takes him.

When I learned to climb, I had my energy and the rope. As my energy went out...my second life is my rope. I stay in control with my energy and I trust the rope in a fall.

After many year, I began to solo...??? practically at the level of henold at four years. I did route that I know. But I learned that I most keep my energy to go back and use my technique to go up. My second chance was not the rope any more, but a way that I place my body in case of... I also use to climb in area that I know well and where I can evaluate the danger. I remember one of my first multi pitch (in fact just one...without rope) where I finally arrived at the last move. Don't know why, but some thing told me: it is not finish till it is finish. So I took my time and a hole broke under my feet. I was ready and avoid a 500 feet fall.

So, at the level they are, they know a lot more than us and they can bail in bad situation..or get rescue. I am not for that kind of video because solo is more some thing personal for me, not some thing you share with other. You are going so deeply inside you that you know how work every muscle.

WanderlustMD

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 10:22:48 PM »

I don't post much armchair material, but Honnold is an interesting subject. I don't think it's likely that he chooses solos based on pressure from sponsors. Not to say that it doesn't enter his mind, because he's said his motivations have gotten tricker to navigate over the years. But to do the things he's doing, as cutting edge as this stuff is, at the end of the day I'm he's making the call that's right for him, whatever that is.

In terms of the media stuff, almost all the footage is staged after the fact. Doesn't change the risk of course, but I think it says something about the process. I'm sure he has the power to say "no"; after all, what can a given sponsor do? Let him go? He'll be snapped up by another one in a heartbeat.

All that's certain is that he's way out there, on another level. We can't even speculate on this stuff. When I see footage of him, it just reminds me that amazing things are possible. The results of his pushing the limits may end up being disastrous, but if such a thing does happen I hope there won't be countless "I told you so-s". He really is something else, and hopefully that fact won't get lost in the discussion of whether or not he should be doing what he is doing.

After all, Patrick Edlinger (sp?) soloed like crazy in the Verdon and literally died falling down the stairs.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:24:44 PM by WanderlustMD »

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 06:45:56 AM »

Patric drank himself to death. the stairs were just the finishing touch....

darwined

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 09:22:15 AM »

An incredible feat!

T.

+1
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 22 queries.