General > Beginners Area

Length of the Ice Season in NE

(1/2) > >>

bogpetre:
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to ice climbing and this is my first season in NE.  I'm looking ahead to the second week of march when I have some time off and was wondering what sort of ice climbing opportunities would still be available around that time of year.  I live in Boston, and have been climbing in NH and the Daks this season, but would be able to drive up into Maine and southern Quebec for ice too if needed.  My alternative plans are to head south for some rock climbing, and I'm trying to get my plans in order.  My question then is how long does ice tend to stick around in this part of the country.

Thanks

eyebolter:
Sorry nobody who has actually ice climbed in the last 25 years has chimed in.

March is a crap shoot.  Forget the south-facing stuff.  The shady lower level stuff may be great, or it may all be melted out.   Huntington Ravine will likely be great if that is what you are looking for; I once climbed a melting pinnacle gully on the first weekend in May.

I'd go rock climbing instead, but that is just me, having been out bouldering today.

DLottmann:
Generally ice conditions are great thru the month of March... even at lower elevations...

strandman:

--- Quote from: eyebolter on February 20, 2014, 04:11:38 PM ---Sorry nobody who has actually ice climbed in the last 25 years has chimed in.

March is a crap shoot.  Forget the south-facing stuff.  The shady lower level stuff may be great, or it may all be melted out.   Huntington Ravine will likely be great if that is what you are looking for; I once climbed a melting pinnacle gully on the first weekend in May.

I'd go rock climbing instead, but that is just me, having been out bouldering today.

--- End quote ---

Rock on baby..

Admin Al:
I've climbed Dracula as late as April 15. You can almost always climb in the ravines through April.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version