NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's Talk about YOGA  (Read 90 times)

salty

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Let's Talk about YOGA
« on: July 12, 2004, 02:19:00 PM »

So are there any climbers out there who have or have not benefitted from taking Yoga classes??  Which type of yoga is most directly applied to climbing in terms of increasing strength, flexibility and other skills??  Is it worth pending the money on a class, or are home sessions the way to go?  Home sessions don't include a roomful of sweaty, flexible women, so I am leaning towards classes.  Any insightful comments out there????

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Let's Talk about YOGA
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 02:58:49 PM »

I would skip the yoga and go for Tai Chi. (more interesting) the best way to score chicks from the classes is to get serious enough to become an instructor;D   Most martial arts will seriously help your climbing up to the point that you start getting martial arts related injuries.  

dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 06:20:07 AM »

I do about 30-40 minutes of Yoga a day...just a routine of postures that I worked out after several years of trying different variations.  I started because of a repetitive motion back injury and tendonitis, and at the beginnning I did take some classes.  I think the classes are useful because they sort of introduce you to the whole routine...breathing exercises, the mental approach to postures, etc.  After you're comfortable, though, buying a book and doing it on your own at home is probably the way to go.

Having said all that, the key to Yoga, like any kind of physical activity, is consistency.  You have to do your routine consistently for months or even a year before you see significant improvement.  This is why instructors call Yoga a practice...it's something you get in the habit of doing and then do consistently, hopefully for life.

It helped my injuries...and as long as I maintain my practice, I stay flexible and injury free....
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

Rime

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 11:35:29 AM »

I think yoga is great.  I have to disagree that it can take up to a year to realize benefits.  I took a yoga class for awhile when it was convenient (at work) and was amazed at the stretching and strength benefits right from the start.  I run and swim regularly and had a standard set of stretches I was doing to try to stay flexible - both those activities, especially running, can really make you tight if you don't stretch.  The yoga class I took was focused on balanced, strength poses, but I don't remember the "name" of the yoga we were doing.  At any rate, it was a very active type, not the quiet, meditative type where you sit or lie in one position for a long time breathing (which drives me crazy).  The yoga positions stretched muscles I didn't even realize were there, never mind tight, and lead to more effective stretching of the major muscle groups, and developed strength and balance at the same time. I noticed much greater flexibility and leaner muscle mass after just a few weeks.  I think a class is a good way to start because an instructor can really make sure you are doing the positions correctly so you understand what they are supposed to be doing and don't do any damage.  Whether you stay in a class or not depends on how disciplined you are - I have a few tapes but I have a hard time getting myself to go through them, or do some on my own often enough, but I can't commit to getting to a class regularly either.  Actually, since you posted your question, maybe it will remind me to get back to it more often!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.