NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charlie Porter  (Read 343 times)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Charlie Porter
« on: February 24, 2014, 09:54:40 AM »

Uk climb reporting that the great Charlie Porter has passed away  :'( if you have been to yosemite,  He was a HUGE name..Shield, Zodiac,, Tangerine trip etc  and soloing the first grade 7 in baffin  1976

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: Charlie Porter
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 02:21:39 PM »

His solo ascent of Mt. Thor is still one of the great alpine achievements--he humped everything in himself, spent ~30 days climbing the face, then humped it all out again. I think he ate part of his boots on the way out, as he was sh!t out of anything else to eat. One of the great all rounders ever, and not particularly concerned with whether anyone else knew it.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 02:54:18 PM »

Charlie left quite a legacy, and became a legend in his own time. I'm sure we crossed paths in the Valley, as he was living in Camp 4, when I spent 2 seasons there. He was so busy alone by himself, on a wall, that it is possible I never caught sight of him.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 03:11:33 PM »

I think he also did the f/a of Bridelveil falls in Yos ?? maybe Sentinal falls 5+ in the 70's

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:46:37 PM »

FA Polar Circus too.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 11:11:53 AM »

Correction: Porter's solo Grade VII on Baffin (in '75!) was Asgard not Thor. He also did the first solo of the Cassin. In '76. So his ascents that we still covet today were basically done pre-cams, pre-Gore Tex, pre-reverse curve tools, pre sharp screws, pre pretty much anything we now take for granted. Unbelievable.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.