NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: inexperience, skilfull, competent  (Read 1212 times)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: inexperience, skilfull, competent
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »

Don't lecture me about teamates on a rope.....

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 03:36:49 PM »

++++++

if it's not FUN, what's the point?

I only do it for the chix. Nothing like hucking for a greasy mono doight to finish off that knarly 15-foot plastic fantastic, then calling take and leaning back to get a glimpse of my adoring fans spazzing in a fever of excitement.

It looks kind of like this...

Damn.... rather watch that ALL day then to try and figure out whatever LL is babbling about.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »

i know Her !!! At least in my dream i did    ;D

DaveR

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 06:31:34 PM »

++++++

if it's not FUN, what's the point?

I only do it for the chix. Nothing like hucking for a greasy mono doight to finish off that knarly 15-foot plastic fantastic, then calling take and leaning back to get a glimpse of my adoring fans spazzing in a fever of excitement.

It looks kind of like this...

Damn.... rather watch that ALL day then to try and figure out whatever LL is babbling about.

A++++++++++

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 08:10:10 PM »

Luke, how many beers do you have before posting on NEClimbs? I'm serious. I worry about you, buddy.

Also: stop stealing pictures of my wife and posting them here, guys. Not cool.
We came to climb, not to whine.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 11:29:02 PM »

To emulate means to compare..LL you must be the most pure climber in the world  or in denial....

Climbing has a factor of competition in it..wether with your self or with others...and someone else always climbs harder than you do..always
I agree with both.
But the purity can lead to conflict with others.
Again, there is healthy competition and there is bad competition but the line can be blurred or crossed without malicious intent.  I happen to believe healthy competition is good as it motivates people and moves the sport along its evolutionary path.  Of course, all this is with the cost of congestion, access issues, and greater commercialization of climbing.  I think we are going to have to accept the bad with the good.  I think  LL finds this very hard to accept.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 07:19:39 PM »

I think  LL finds this very hard to accept.

I won't compete with you for sur and won't compete against me too. In general, when I climbed and the important think is to beat someone else, I stop and go climbing away.

There a type of climbing where every body have a kind of competition...they call it sport climbing!!!!

I climbed in remote area, some times solo a cliff alone under my limits just to enjoy life.

A chalenge yes, but no stress. They call it trad climbing.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »

There a type of climbing where every body have a kind of competition...they call it sport climbing!!!!

I climbed in remote area, some times solo a cliff alone under my limits just to enjoy life.

A challenge yes, but no stress. They call it trad climbing.
LOL, LL.  I met some of the most competitive climbers years ago at The Gunks, everyone plugging gear.  Well, maybe they were competitive because they were from NYC.  And I have had some really mellow days "sport climbing". 

In a way I admire you wanting to be pure and climbing strictly for fun.  But to think you can only stay away from competition if you do not do sport climbing is not the right conclusion.  It is the company you keep, man.
Lots of people are having fun without being overly competitive. 

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »

In a way I admire you wanting to be pure and climbing strictly for fun.  But to think you can only stay away from competition if you do not do sport climbing is not the right conclusion.  It is the company you keep, man.
Lots of people are having fun without being overly competitive.

Lot of people are having fun without being overly competitive...

We agree with that, climbing hard is not the only way to climb cliffs. Some can have fun doing thin air each year with his friends and don't want to be hurt because a beginer climb 5.9.

What you call pure, I call it safe. Lot of people are scare because they are not safe, trying to climb hard before they climb safe. All my intervention are oriented to that goal. The thread is about how to evaluate your skill before the skill of some one else. excuses like I am not skillfull, the rock is shit...etc are really bad excuses because some good climber like Strandman can climb it even if it is not as good as we want. We have to climb safe first and after we can climb hard. It is the main point to make a distinction between trad and sport. In sport, you can climb hard and after look at your safety.

I was supposed to go sport climbing or bouldering this week end, but the weather is not there. I will probably go ice climbing. I will try to be safe, but it is hard to find partner. Try to talk to a newbie who climb 5.11 in a gym in six month that he can't learned safety in six days and come back to me.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 10:41:35 AM »

My point is that harder, more serious climbing can be fun as well..why can't you accept that ?

No competition in trad climbing ? Really  ..you make me laugh

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 07:16:19 PM »

My point is that harder, more serious climbing can be fun as well..why can't you accept that ?

I accept that.

I think that in sport, people most climb hard as many route are short and the kind of energy and difficulty is great for that. I like to climb sport route as a training for multi pitch. It help for my technique, but it is inself a sport.

What I don't like it is when you are not climbing hard, you are nothing. Every one will agree that after work you are going to climb harder, on bolt with beta it will be a little less hard and onsight it will down one or two grade. In trad, a good decision is that you climb on sight one grade over the grade you climb after work. It is the commitment rating.

Some people follow party and are mad because some people are slower than the other... some people climb hard and make trad climbing dangerous for other people.

You also have to accept that the danger is greater in trad than in sport (even if there is injury in sport because the guy climb without to "stick on it"). And a distinction can be done for those two reason.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 07:30:01 PM »

I never said anything about climbing hard..hell I don't climb hard anymore and never will again......Not once have i  tried to disparage anyone for climbing at a lower grade.. 

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 07:51:01 PM »

LL, why do you mostly seek to get beginners as partners?  How long have you been climbing?  20 years?  At least, right?  So do you shun experienced partners or do most of them shun you?  This Saturday looks OK for bouldering or sport. Hope you get a good early season workout.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 09:51:29 PM »

I never said anything about climbing hard..hell I don't climb hard anymore and never will again......Not once have i  tried to disparage anyone for climbing at a lower grade..

this is great. but the problem exist. And some guy think that they are half of a climber to try easy stuff. As you can see on the other thread...many people don't have the chance to climb 150 days a years and most of them climb that in there climber life.

I like the competition in sport, it is amasing to see when people push there limit.

Trad is for the other group of people who like the chalenge and peacefull time in the mountain.

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2014, 06:23:39 PM »

I like the competition in sport, it is amasing to see when people push there limit.

Trad is for the other group of people who like the chalenge and peacefull time in the mountain.

Respectfully, I disagree with this oversimplification. I'm a sport climber. I climb with sport climbers. And I relish the early season, when I have the whole mountain to myself. It's more about enjoying the outside, the beauty, and good attitudes from good people. It's not about competition for me, nor for the people I call my friends.

Last time I went to Rumney, I climbed an easy-ish route, froze my hands, couldn't hear my belayer because of the wind, bled all over the holds (sorry everyone), and topped out having fought a hard-won battle with a route that gives me a run for my money every time. IT WAS GREAT. Then we moved uphill and my partner climbed on his 5.14a project for an hour or so, which is a challenging route for him to climb.

Sport climbing allows us both, being of wildly mismatched climbing ability, to enjoy a bluebird, solitary day in the mountains without one of us dropping bricks right off the belay. It has nothing to do with competition. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've never been called "half the climber" someone else might be, though by the grades I might be.

Make the rounds at Rumney on a locals-heavy day, and I think anyone will find that they're more likely to be judged for their attitude than for the grades they climb or their level of experience. Nobody wants to climb with a jerk, a know-it-all, or an overly competitive person.

It'd be less that you climb a certain grade, climb sport vs. trad, or have a certain level of knowledge. It'd be more about the fact that you care overly much about grading, grading systems, whether it's really trad or sport, or about how much experience some beginner does or doesn't have. Nobody likes to debate this stuff ad nauseum (except NEClimbs users, apparently).

We came to climb, not to whine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 22 queries.