NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Ropes on Lions Head  (Read 2482 times)

neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Ropes on Lions Head
« on: March 04, 2014, 01:54:52 PM »

What's happening in the valley? You can't look at a bolt without people slinging mud, but you can leave a fixed rope on Lions Head. What's next, put in a zip line so the guides can get home to their ski bunnies faster? Safer my ass, talk about pussifying a mountain. 

darwined

Re: Ropes on Lions Head
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »

It's litter installed by the AMC

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:30:17 PM »

BAN the AMC

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »

I've waited there personally and with clients anywhere from 40 mins to over an hour while people in micro spikes, Merrill day hikers, and all kids of inappropriate kit try to navigate up and down those two steep sections. I summited 12 times last season and 7 times this year and I welcome them.

Has nothing to do with getting home to our families but speaks directly to safety and reasonable time for passage.

I really wish everyone that climbed that mountain had proper gear, experience, general comfort navigating steep terrain and rock. The fact of the matter is 90% of the people that take that trail have little to no business being there dressed as they do with as little experience or knowledge.

People still have to negotiate a steep headwall but now have the option of a hand line to help them navigate it safely and in reasonable speed. I see no problem with the hand lines and am happy to have them there. Ok pureists...blast away!!!  ;) ::)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 02:46:44 PM »

I'm fine with it as long as I get to bolt anything I want ;D

DaveR

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »

I've waited there personally and with clients anywhere from 40 mins to over an hour while people in micro spikes, Merrill day hikers, and all kids of inappropriate kit try to navigate up and down those two steep sections. I summited 12 times last season and 7 times this year and I welcome them.

Has nothing to do with getting home to our families but speaks directly to safety and reasonable time for passage.

I really wish everyone that climbed that mountain had proper gear, experience, general comfort navigating steep terrain and rock. The fact of the matter is 90% of the people that take that trail have little to no business being there dressed as they do with as little experience or knowledge.

People still have to negotiate a steep headwall but now have the option of a hand line to help them navigate it safely and in reasonable speed. I see no problem with the hand lines and am happy to have them there. Ok pureists...blast away!!!  ;) ::)

If you are so incompetent that you need fixed ropes to get up Lions Head you should go back to your fucking living room and sit in front of the TV with a beer watching National Geographic specials about climbing!

REMOVE THE FIXED ROPES!

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »

What are those fixed lines made of.... 10mm, 9mm? Static or something that would be good for sport climbing with?
Also how far a walk is it up to the Lion's "head".

thanks

DaveR

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 03:19:54 PM »

What are those fixed lines made of.... 10mm, 9mm? Static or something that would be good for sport climbing with?
Also how far a walk is it up to the Lion's "head".

thanks

LOL :o

darwined

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 03:25:44 PM »

Purists?  We're not talking "Murder of the Impossible" here Grammy, more like "Murder of the Improbable".  If it inconveniences the guides to wait, I have zero issue with it.    Safe passage?  I'm not even gonna touch that one.  Sheesh!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:32:48 PM by darwined »

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 03:28:43 PM »

We are talking the Lion's Head winter route correct? The two steep icy sections have trees to grab don't they? If someone cannot get up that without a hand-line they have no business being on the mountain in the first place.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 03:58:57 PM »

Grammy...I might need those lines for you to guide me up Wash..PLEASE

Maybe the start of WH slabs is next..afterall, you can see the hotel better from the Toilet bowl   :'(

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »

I am not for a fixed line on anything that should be considered a trail. It sets a precedent that will not be reversed. Much like cutting stairs into the stone on the Falling Waters trail or using rebar to pin rocks down at Square Ledge. Someones idea that that's the way to allow access is wrong headed and more dangerous than a tippy rock or a patch of ice.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »

I seem to remember a thread towards the end of last year about this same thing - and responses where about the same. I don't think they should be there. It encourages people without the skill set to go higher and potentially get into even more trouble above tree line. If the AMC placed the fixed lines I think they should fund SAR and would bet not a dime comes out of their coffers for this (don't even get me started on the AMC not paying taxes!).

DaveR

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 06:28:51 PM »

I am not for a fixed line on anything that should be considered a trail. It sets a precedent that will not be reversed. Much like cutting stairs into the stone on the Falling Waters trail or using rebar to pin rocks down at Square Ledge. Someones idea that that's the way to allow access is wrong headed and more dangerous than a tippy rock or a patch of ice.

A++++

Fixed ropes, stairs cut in trails, huts that are ugly and the highland center. >:(
All from an organization that talks about preserving wild places. They are fucked up!  :P

Who will have the balls to remove them? ;)

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »

I climbed that route in the winter with my Mom when I was 15....

Just saying.   I mean, come on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 23 queries.