NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How many days do you get outside, on rock, in a single season?  (Read 820 times)

ralbert20

• NEClimbs Full Member

and, do you consider yourself a weekend warrior, a guide, or a dirtbag?

Personally I have been getting outside on rock on average 35 days a year for the last 5 or so years, with the most being 53 days in 2009. I am a weekend warrior.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:05:12 AM by ralbert20 »

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
Re: How many days do you get outside, on rock, in a single season?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »

and, do you consider yourself a weekend warrior, a guide, or a dirtbag?

Personally I have been getting outside on rock on average 35 days a year for the last 5 or so years, with the most being 53 days in 2009. I am a weekend warrior.

I used to climb three days a week and all week end summer before. Climbing around 24 multi pitch route in a summer. more than the summit of everest, which is around 8900 meters.

As I had problem to find trad climber in quebec and that the cliff is more remote, I onsight to 5.10 any where (poko fastest gun, book cathedral,

When I met Base, I was confident in my approach of climbing. One day, he show me how to protect a pitch. Every thing was perfect. So, even if I had good technique...I improve a lot with Base. It is not always by what he said, but by how he climb. He he   

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 02:08:34 PM »

on rock, 60-70. that's 2-3 times a week during the season. I'm not guiding as much as I used to, but still try to get out a lot. FWIW in winter it drops to twice a week on average.

I realize that my case is unusual as I live within walking distance to Cathedral and Whitehorse, and a 5 minute bike ride to Humphrey's. in the winter I walk down to the North End to do a lap or two at lunch, the way I used to go to Hammond Pond when I was living in Chestnut Hill in Boston.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

WanderlustMD

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »

I don't keep track, but you might call me a semi-dirtbag. I work as a teacher, and have been able to take advantage of the summer break for climbing. Between that and weekends I probably get 80-100 days?

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 06:09:39 PM »

55 on rock; another 20+ on ice; my ski instructor job keeps me from more ice days than that ( but I average 55 days skiing as well); part time rock & ice guide, otherwise retired high school teacher finally "livin' the dream"! 8)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 07:23:17 PM »

I USED to do 150 +  days a year and work full time, etc ..of course i was a bit younger....prolly hit 250  once or twice

Now I'm hoping for 75-100 days this year as a semi-disabled , old timer

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »

Counting Ice my best year was 190. Also slept at least 90 nights in the Vanagon that year:)  I did over 150 for many years. Working way too much these days . Somehow the last two years I hit 94 on the button according to my climbing journal.

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 07:41:35 AM »

Not enough.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 10:55:29 AM »

Not enough.

second that!

Since the divorce my climbing has easily been cut in half. Every other weekend. Didn't get out ice climbing this year until the end of December. Sucks.  :-\
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:19:32 AM »

To those of you who did not get out enough I say there is more to life than climbing and as soon as I figure out what it is I will let you know :-[.

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 02:55:03 PM »

I USED to do 150 +  days a year and work full time, etc ..of course i was a bit younger....prolly hit 250  once or twice

Now I'm hoping for 75-100 days this year as a semi-disabled , old timer

Holy shit! I am certain that I'd be out with an injury if I logged a 250-day year. I used to keep pretty good notes, and according to those notes, not counting ice, alpine, and mixed:

2010: 68 days
2011: 93 days (I developed elbow tendonitis at the end of the season that caused me to get a late start in 2012)
2012: 76 days
2013: 31 days

My wife was out for most of 2013 with an injury. Not surprisingly, I've been climbing like shit for the past 18 months. :) HOWEVER, I still enjoyed each and every climbing day, and, I have a good feeling about 2014.
We came to climb, not to whine.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »

It was many moons ago, Pete...  '83 i think

Feb-through may..was JT, East side, yosemite then back to NH for a month July and part of August veedawoo, Tuolumne then back to Yosemite /JT for most of Oct /Nov

DLottmann

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 10:00:14 PM »

I was 200+ from 2001-2004 when I was new to MWV... waiting tables/bartending helped keep my days free... started guiding in 2004 which actually reduced my climbing days a bit, and now with a 2 year old Iíld guess I climb rock about 40 days, ice about 12, teach avalanche courses about 30, and general mountaineering about 15-20... probably recreational of the about 20 days.... so 1/3 days in the mountains.... canít complain! I think when my son is of age Iíll get a lot more days back on the rock....

crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 11:34:19 PM »

I'm a weekend warrior. I don't keep track of how many days I climb. Suffice to say it's never enough.
work hard, play harder

neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 07:50:22 AM »

I had a good string of years where I probably average around 5 days a week either on rock, skis, or ice. So my best years were around 250, with about 70 or so being on rock, but most of those were short days cragging. 6 of the last 8 I've hit my goal of 100 days on skis, this year I'm at 20 but that's what you get for no pass and a backcountry season that only started in Feb. I'm around mid 20's for ice this year.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 24 queries.