NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odell's Exit  (Read 522 times)

steve4464

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Odell's Exit
« on: March 06, 2014, 02:27:14 PM »

Went out for a "casual" day in Huntington on Sunday. Had never done Odell's and hadn't done anyting the Ravine yet this year. Thought it would be a n(ice) day out. Anyway, with snow, breaking trail and lots of frozen rope( all I could do to get ropes thru ATC ), it was a little more sloggish than anticipated.

Anyway, what is the preferred exit? We ended up going up the left gully as I sent up one of our party while I was cleaning up the last anchor. It was a little hard to see and they yelled down that it looked okay left and right the visibility made it hard to tell. We decided to head left , with both of the other two in our party up ahead of me. I wasn't super psyched to see how steep it was once I got up to it.

It was a SLOG. Lots of two steps up and three down and waist deep snow as you plunged thru. F-in cold and was very happy to get to the wind gusts on the Alpine Garden as the sun dipped over the ridge.

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
Re: Odell's Exit
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:44:40 PM »

I always just exit left at the top of the ice (big rock ledge there) and cross over into South Gully, descend that (it's easy snow) and then climb another gully. Above the ice is really boring anyway.

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 10:22:25 AM »

I usually use south or the escape hatch. South looked a little sketchy and full of ice the last time I was up there. Either way, prepare for some post holing fun back to the main trail!  ;) still quicker than lion's head. Sometimes I will cross over into right gully and descend that (lobster claw). That is a good option too as long as conditions are stable!

How was the ice on O'dells?
Grammy
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

steve4464

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 04:11:18 PM »

Ice was thick( right, center and left ) although brittle and shattering on top and wet underneath on Sunday

neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 09:01:50 PM »

I've always preferred central if I'm doing multiple gully's. Right is my preferred final descent, and for an added bonus you get to pass the pump and fill up on water.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 08:32:45 AM »

Right is my preferred final descent, and for an added bonus you get to pass the pump and fill up on water.

+1    ;)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 23 queries.