Author Topic: Grivel Matrix opinions  (Read 411 times)

Offline RJNoble

• NEClimbs Newbie
Grivel Matrix opinions
« on: March 22, 2014, 10:53:30 AM »
Any body used Grivel Matrix tools? Im looking at getting those, mostly for my girlfriend who is new to ice and is pretty small. These seam like a good choice for small hands and are not as heavy as the Quarks I have. I also would use them as my leashless tools to see if I can make the switch from part time leashed to full time leashsless.
  Opiniuons? Rumors. Love them, hate them?

Offline Max Forbes

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Grivel Matrix opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 05:59:17 PM »
I've used the Quantums a bit. Sits super well in my hands. Loved the swing. I'm sure the aluminum version would feel similarly.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 08:54:15 AM »
Had the quantum techs..loved them but found I kept overdriving the picks...they didn't clean well, but the swing was intuitive, lightweight and parts are easy to come by. Wasn't crazy about the four little nuts and bolts that held the pick on...a bit of a PITA to change in and out, but small complaint for a really solid performer. I think she would love them!
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline RJNoble

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »
think the difficulty in clearing would be fixed by filing the top edge of the pick?  Got a line on a pair of Quantums. Think thats what were going with.
   Thanks for the input all.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 11:40:17 AM »
think the difficulty in clearing would be fixed by filing the top edge of the pick?

Yes, definitely helped as well as detuning the first few teeth behind the pick...still managed to get them stuck...I think they were just so light that I made up for it with my homerun swings...pilot error...they are great tools..woud still have them if I wasn't hooked up with the Cassin Prototype.  :)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline tmbirdsall

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 04:49:23 PM »
I use the Grivel Quantum Tech axes and love them!  I'm shorter 5'2" and the shaft, swing length and head weight is perfect for me.  I have been able to get better purchase with these than any other ax I've used.  Before I got these, I swung a lot of different axes and these I fell in love with!  Also, I don't bang my knuckles on the ice  with these; Bonus!