Author Topic: Approach Skis  (Read 561 times)

Offline angeloks

• NEClimbs Newbie
Approach Skis
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
Hi,

I've been doing long approaches on snowshoes and after seeing everyone on skis, I'm thinking that maybe I should do the same... I'd like something I could use with my Phantom Guide for long approaches (i.e. Gothics, Katahdin, etc.). I don't really want anything high performance, I just want to make the long miles backpacking easier.

Any recommendation of boots/bindings ? Some brands I should look into ? Used gear ?

Thanks !

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
Re: Approach Skis
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 11:41:55 AM »
I run Silvretta bindings on Karhu 10th Mountain skis. Metal edged, wide skis with fishscales, so can glide down and still climb moderately steep stuff without installing skins. I'm very happy with them, only downside is cost about 700.00.
Tom Stryker

darwined

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 07:51:49 PM »
I've got some K2 backups, Marker f10 bindings, G3 skins that I was running with Baturas.  I'll throw in some Garmont Radiums size 28.5 for $700.00.  Too much going on lately to spend any time on my skis.

Offline Paul Calabro

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:11:37 AM »
I just went in and out of Katahdin with my Spantiks and a pair of Silvretta 500s mounted to a pair of Fischer S-Bound 112 cross country skis. Setup worked awesome. Pretty light, with just enough shape in the ski to manage the downhills, the scales were grippy enough to climb all the rolling hills on the first 12.5 miles which kept the glide on the flats and downhills efficient. I used skins for the final 3.5 miles to Chimney Pond. Because I'm not a strong skier, I didn't ski down the steeper trail from Chimney Pond to Roaring Brook in my mountain boots with this setup, but I'm sure a strong skier could.

So yeah, check out the Fischer S-Bound 112s, or even better the Fischer S-Bound 98s. I went with the shortest length, 159 cm, to save a bit on weight, even though I'm near the top of the weight chart (found here: http://www.fischersports.com/us/Nord...-Bound) without a pack.

Yeah man.  Slowshoes are for suckaz.  Learning to ski, besides being wicked fun, will really bump up what you can do in the mountains a notch (or at least how fast you can do it / how much you enjoy it).
Bonatti is God

Offline Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »
+1 for the Fischer S-Bound 98s. I run mine with a set of Voile Switchback X2s and Scarpa T4s. This is a slightly heavy setup, but still qualifies as "light gear." You can turn on this rig, but the waxless design helps cut weight if you can leave skins at home (they won't climb anything super steep without skins tho: you're good up to 20-25 degrees). I got the skis at OGE in Burlington. I thought I saw some at Ragged Mountain last time I was there, but that was a while ago. My only regret is that I didn't get the 112s: with a heavy pack I sink more than I'd like on the 98s, but don't want a longer ski.

For flatter / easier approaches, I use Rossi BC70s with NNN bindings and soft leather boots. A full setup can be had for pretty cheap. Don't do this if you need to make turns or dodge trees, but DO use them for long, gentle, rolling approaches since they'll go faster and be more comfortable..
We came to climb, not to whine.

Offline Next Time

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 07:43:28 PM »
Any suggestions on where I could find Silvretta 500s for sale?  Looked everywhere and no luck.  I would be using them with La Sportiva Baruntse size 47. 

Apart from Silvrettas, would any other bindings work?

Thanks much.

Offline wiggins

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
hey all, sorry to hijack the thread..... could i use mountaineering boots (my batura's) for a slog in but also swap to regular ski boots for a day of resorting with the marker f10? are they a good downhill binding? darwined if "next time" isn't interseted in your rig shoot me a pm