NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salewa Pro Gaiter  (Read 127 times)

coldstarts

• NEClimbs Newbie
Salewa Pro Gaiter
« on: March 23, 2014, 11:43:21 AM »

Hello all.  I'm new to the sport of ice climbing, went out a couple times Winter 2012-13 and became hooked.  I purchased a pair of Salewa Pro Guides at the start of this past Winter and overall have been very happy with them.  They are super comfortable and fit me very well.  I tried several boot manufacturers and they seem to fit the best. 

I did some climbing in the Adirondacks this Winter and noticed that once temperatures fall into the low double and single digits my feet start to get cold if stopped for longer than 15minutes or so.  My feet do sweat a bit and after a long day with an approach hike I do notice my socks and the inside of the boot are damp.  Not sure if this is why I'm getting cold or if I just need a warmer boot.  I bought the Guides from a reputable retailer so I'll be able to return them, no problem.

I've been looking at the Pro Gaiter version of this boot and am hoping for an opinion regarding warmth and the sweat issue I'm experiencing.  For the most part, I'll be using this boot for single day outings and would like to climb Mount Washington at some point next Winter.  I'd like to give Rainier a go in the future as well but that's still a ways off.
In your experiences with the integrated supergaiter boots, do you think they will dry out well enough overnight should I decide to go out for a couple days in a row?  The Pro Guides lack the Gaiter and my thinking is they will dry out much easier than the gaiter boot.  I'm also thinking the extra insulation on the gaiter version will absorb a lot more sweat.  Will the boot still keep me warm if my feet are sweating the way they do?  I wouldn't say my boots and socks have been "drenched" by any means, just noticeably damp and moist at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:45:34 AM by coldstarts »

The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
Re: Salewa Pro Gaiter
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 11:52:35 AM »

I run early version Nepals, not Evo's, and don't get cold feet. I found that LESS sock worked best for me, and on any longer approaches like Huntington Ravine, I don't put gaiters on, or cinch the boot up until I get to the ice, so I get some ventilation of moisture from the action of walking.
Tom Stryker

coldstarts

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Salewa Pro Gaiter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 12:17:46 PM »

I've been wearing Smartwool Mountaineering socks.  I guess my thinking is that the extra thickness would provide more warmth but maybe I'm too warm.  I could try a lighter sock as mentioned above.  Of course, things are warmer now...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.