Author Topic: Pericarditis  (Read 1016 times)

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Pericarditis
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:58:37 PM »
Doesn't seem that long ago that I was posting about my pleural effusion...  The last week or 2 I've been having issues breathing when I first lay down in bed, like my throat tightens up.  After a minute or so everything is fine.  I just assumed at first I was having some sort of allergic reaction to something.  Well, yesterday comes along and I get this pain in my chest; above nipple line and left of center.  Hurts to bend over and what finally did it for me was the pain when inhaling deeply.

Went to the walk-in in Barrington last night, after a couple of X-rays the doc comes back in and cocks his head sideways a bit and says "You're an interesting dude".  Oh, great....  Turns out I have excessive fluid around my heart.  At this point I have a script for prednisone but I'm not supposed to take it unless it gets worse.  I'm seeing my regular doc Thursday morning first thing, they already scheduled me for a chest ultrasound for May 13 (2 weeks from today- hurry up and wait...).  I'm taking ibuprofen through the day.  The reason for not taking the prednisone is even though it will make me feel better, any tests to determine why this happened will come back as negative.  Seems I'm getting a bit of a chronic inflammation issue and I really want to figure out why.  This is inflammation, the effusion was determined to be caused by inflammation and I self-diagnosed costochondritis (inflammation of the connective tissue in the ribcage) a few years back.  I'm too young (35) for this crap.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: Pericarditis
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:26:43 PM »
Do not wait..go to the hospital NOW..any fluid around the heart can be fatal in hours..I know,it almost killed me last year.

It almost never goes away on its own..you need lasix right now..esp if you have breathing difficulties..prednisone is for inflammation..not fluid retention

go

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:00:52 AM »
    WTF! you should have been admitted. I don't really care how little fluid you have around your heart. It should not be there and you should be having extensive in hospital testing right now. Your heart is a muscle inside a tight fibrous bag...when fluid fills that bag your heart stops. You need to get your doc on the phone and get real good reasons as to why you are home.
    Being this kind of an "interesting dude" you can do without...trust me.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:41:20 AM »
Last year i had a Doc tell me it was bronchitis..5 hours later  I was on a life flight

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 07:56:23 PM »
Dan's wife told me that he's having a pericardiocentiesis to drain the fluid from the sac around his heart either tonight or tomorrow. I'm hoping that this goes well and that he's going to be OK. Dan's a really great guy and and like he says, he's "too young for this crap". Take a minute and send some good healing thoughts his way.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 08:53:18 PM »
Wow, I hope everything goes well with the procedure. Best of luck.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline JoeC

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 09:05:02 PM »
Get better Dan!

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:02:04 PM »
Take a minute and send some good healing thoughts his way.
Done. 
Get well, Dan. 

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 06:26:53 AM »
Vibes to Dan this morning, hopefully the centesis is done or getting done expediently, and that he gets both relief and a diagnosis.  Like ELM and Strand have said, the pericardium is not very compliant and a small volume change has big consequences for cardiac output and arrhythmia potential. 

Heal well, Dan, rock season's waiting.
Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

DLottmann

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
Thinking of you man, let us know when you can.

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 08:08:33 AM »
Dan's wife told me that he's having a pericardiocentiesis to drain the fluid from the sac around his heart either tonight or tomorrow. I'm hoping that this goes well and that he's going to be OK. Dan's a really great guy and and like he says, he's "too young for this crap". Take a minute and send some good healing thoughts his way.

Very very good to hear!
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
Danf,

Wow! I hope you heal up fast!

Your right--your too young for this crap!

Online xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 10:24:18 PM »
Stay strong man!!!! Here's to a quick recovery.!!!!!
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 01:09:44 PM »
update on Dan's condition from his wife Brandi:

"Dan will be staying night #3 here at Portsmouth Hospital. The fluid in his pericardium (sack around the heart) is down significantly, but we still don't know what's causing this (along with his Pleural Effusion 8/2013) more testing to be done, and they have ruled out many many other illness/diseases, but there is still more tests being processed."

keep those positive vibes heading his way!
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 07:50:18 PM »
Finally feeling good enough to update this. Been in the hospital since Wednesday. The cardiologists have described the pericardial effusion as 'small to medium'. They are not doing the tap since there is little margin for the needle. They have drawn blood now probably 10 times and are running countless tests- what the infectious disease docs are testing for took up 3/4 of a page when they wrote it down for us.

The worst part so far has been the fever. It's spiked over 103 more than once. I get chills at first and can't get warm my temp goes up while I'm shivering under 6-7 blankets. Eventually I start feeling hot and after getting bags of ice under neck and on my forehead my temp comes back down. They've changed my meds a bit and hopefully the fevers are a thing of the past now. Honestly, I am pretty sure that if weren't for the fevers, I probably would have gone home today.

I think I'm going to end up having yet another electrocardiograph in another week. I think that will all get discussed when they finally cut me loose.

Thanks for the thoughts, it's much appreciated! Wishing I wasn't missing the start of turkey season tomorrow, but there will be more openers for me at this point.