Author Topic: Shoulder impingement syndrome  (Read 233 times)

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Shoulder impingement syndrome
« on: January 31, 2015, 04:16:19 PM »
Anyone ever have it?  Got a feeling it's not uncommon with climbers.

I've got an appointment with my primary doc on Tuesday; had soreness/pain in my right arm at the shoulder since the snow storms around Thanksgiving.  Had to run our loader for about 4 hours on Thursday pushing back snow banks and didn't know if I was going to be able to finish, the pain was that severe- all the way down to my elbow.

One of our friends is a physical therapist, saw her last night and mentioned it.  As soon as I started describing the pain, she immediately said impingement syndrome.  Even used the term "classic". :(  I'll see what my primary has to say, but I have a feeling I'm going to be quite limited for my first Ice Fest next weekend.  >:(

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: Shoulder impingement syndrome
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 05:26:53 PM »
Welcome to the club !!!  A classic climbing injury, it can be from a long term thing or sudden.  Your spironalactis (or something like that) is the muscle/tendon in the front of your should and it's not the strongest thing around.

My sis in law is becoming a MELT therapist and is going to start on my shoulder..I'll let you know.

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:33:14 PM »
Ha, mine is toast too! Mopped the kitchen floor for New Year's Day and was in agony at 3am the next day...lol! It took three : Percocet to knock it down. I'm doing PT, and have better range of motion, and more manageable pain, have a bowl of Ibuprofen like jelly beans on the counter. Shoveling is a disaster, and I drive nails left handed now.

I'm dying to hit some ice, thinking about doing that Bickford Brook Creek Stomp. :D

Tom Stryker

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:39:02 PM »
It took three : Percocet to knock it down.
Yeah, after I was in the loader the other day.....  I have a few oxy's leftover from surgery 2 years ago and haven't touched them since the chest tubes were pulled.  I was seriously thinking about taking one that afternoon.  Honestly, if I hadn't found 3 ibuprofen's in my lunch box, I don't think I would have been able to run the loader for 1.5 hours, let alone the 3.5 that I was on site. 

I've said it before, but I'm too young (36) for this crap!

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 09:37:25 PM »
Damn, I've had some shoulder problems over the years. The worst - frozen shoulder! Look it up. Not fun. Fortunately I caught mine early and beat the crap outta myself to get back to climbing, anything, etc. after about five months. My PT said I must have enjoyed pain to get back so quick.

Had impingement issues once too. Cortisone cocktail shot and nothing for about four months if I remember. All ok after.

Impingement was early 30s, frozen shoulder early 40s.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »
Sometimes impingement is related to other things as well..Barne (sp)  effect is one,,that's when you have repeated dislocations and are young..It injures the joint and surrounding tissue..always.  This one can take a long time to show up..I haven't done  a disclocate in 30 years and this started this winter..(  or maybe I just ignored it)

Directly related to rotator cuff issues in almost all cases

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 05:34:45 PM »
My primary concurred with the diagnosis.  Script for Aleve and a referral to PT.  And told to take it easy on it.  I failed to ask about ice climbing this weekend.... :D

We'll see what the next few weeks brings.