NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken carabiner blamed for circus accident in Rhode Island  (Read 532 times)

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
Re: Broken carabiner blamed for circus accident in Rhode Island
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 04:23:14 PM »

Did the biner get "nosed" and the top "hinge" got snagged on the steel cable loop?
There was a spectacular Petzl Spirit breakage last season or the year before where the breakpoints were similar as shown in the illustration.  The best anyone could guess what happened was the biner got "nosed" on the bolt hanger as the climber climbed above the bolt and proceeded to traverse right.  She fell soon after and the "nosed" biner broke.  Heck of a ride but no injuries.

Does anyone still flip the top biner "up side down" on draws/slings in situations where there is a chance it could rotate and get "nosed" on the hanger, pin, bong, etc?  I almost always get questioned when someone notices I have flipped the top biner. 

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »

I went bungee jumping after climbing Mount Cook in New Zealand in the 80's.  A bunch of colege-aged stoners running the show (not that there is anything wrong with that) and connecting the webbing they wrapped around your ankles with a single non-locking carabiner.  I looked at it and thought "Not what I would do but what the hell" so 140 feet headfirst into the river.   My one and only bungee jump.

You can get away with it for a while, but eventually a lack of redundancy will catch up with you.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 05:36:04 PM »

You can get away with it for a while, but eventually a lack of redundancy will catch up with you.
+1.  Ain't that the truth!

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.