NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cathedral Clean-up Day  (Read 142 times)

Edge

Cathedral Clean-up Day
« on: July 22, 2004, 10:55:31 AM »

I lifted this from Al's White Mountain Report, I hope he doesn't mind:

Your Help Needed:
The annual MRS Cathedral Ledge Cleanup is scheduled for Tuesday July 27,
4:00 PM. This is a great way to help preserve our favorite resource. Please
meet at the kiosk at the base of Cathedral. Bags and gloves will be
provided. The annual Bar-B-Q (not to be missed) will follow at the Nereledge
Inn around 6:00. Be there, or be very SQUARE.

So who is in?  My daughter and I went early last year and climbed Bombardment to the Book with OM from the board.  It was alot of fun, we got to give something back to the climbing community, and we finished it all off with burgers and beers.  

Plan on coming so we can put some faces to the board names.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Cathedral Clean-up Day
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 12:36:18 PM »

good job Loran, you beat me to it. YES, please do come out & help clean up our crag. last year it was gret to meet OM & Loran and his daughter. I've brought my son Daz the last 3 years & we do the walk down the road picking up trash as we go. I hope a bunch of you come out. it is a very small thing to do but does makes a difference.

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

ralbert20

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 03:30:36 PM »

I wish that I could be there, but I am an unfortunate Massh*** Anyway, I noticed a very disturbing pile of human waste on the trail from the Book etc when I was there last sunday. I put a little cairn over it, as I was not prepared to deal with it at the time. There are some sheets of paper and a few rocks on top of it. I know it is gross, but it would be good to get that off of the trail. It is right near the top ledges, near the lookout. I hope it was not a climber! Also, I am sure that you have all seen that there is a lot of trash back there - there are tons of firework wrappers, beer cans and bottles too. Maybe sometime we could schedule a clean up on a weekend when more of us weekend warriors could help out too. It is not a locals only crag, and you should not have to clean it all yourselves.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 09:30:57 PM »

I am really sorry that I can't make it. I actualy have a mid week show that day :-[

om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 09:37:34 AM »

I'm afraid I will have to miss it :( Too bad, I had a really good time last year!
-om

DLottmann

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 11:32:25 AM »

Sounds fun, but I too am working that night...

Erik_N

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 09:35:17 AM »

The annual Mountain Rescue Cliff Clean Up has been canceled due to rain. We have re-scheduled it for next Tues. August 3rd.
4:00 at the Cathedral Ledge Kiosk.

SCUD

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 07:26:20 AM »

If you see a number of bags of trash etc. by the Kiosk at the base of Cathedral, they were collected by my wife & I last Tuesday with the assistance of local climber John Patrick who like ourselves wasn't aware of the postponement. We walked both sides of the road at the base of the cliff.  About half way through our walk, Ann from IME drove by in her truck and graciously hauled away what we had collected up to that point. THANKS! The rest is at the Kiosk waiting for pick up. Sorry we won't be able to make it next Tuesday.  
"Going to the mountains is going home." -John Muir

Erik_N

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 11:19:35 AM »

Thanks!
I just picked up the rest of the collection and threw it in the dumpster.  It's amazing the crap you find.  Marc Chauvin 2 years ago found a stolen mt. bike!

Edge

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2004, 12:29:27 PM »

It's amazing the crap you find.  Marc Chauvin 2 years ago found a stolen mt. bike!

Yeah, last year I found a pack full of gear at the base of the cliff.  It must have been pretty unsightly too, because when I removed it there were a couple of guys way up on the cliff thanking me.

At least I assume they were thanking me; it was kinda hard to hear with the wind...

« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 12:30:45 PM by Edge »

haircity

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 12:46:29 PM »

Couldn't make it either so thanks for all who pitched-in.

Very much.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 06:08:20 PM »

in spite of a world-class thunderstorm that moved through the area at about 3:30PM this afternoon dropping about 1/4 inch of rain in about 20 minutes, it was a great cliff cleanup this year. we got a full pickup truck full of trash & the cliff looks quite spiffy. (who knows how long that will last, but it looks great now!) the party was superb & Rick honored the agreement to get good beer again this year. none of that Bush bear for this group!!! <sly grin> there was sausages, burgers, hot dogs, watermellon, good cheer and lots of climbing talk for all who attended.

thanks to all who helped out. don't miss it next year!

Al
Al Hospers

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 06:09:02 PM »

in spite of a world-class thunderstorm that moved through the area at about 3:30PM this afternoon dropping about 1/4 inch of rain in about 20 minutes, it was a great cliff cleanup this year. we got a full pickup truck full of trash & the cliff looks quite spiffy. (who knows how long that will last, but it looks great now!) the party was superb & Rick honored the agreement to get good beer again this year. none of that Bush bear for this group!!! <sly grin> there was sausages, burgers, hot dogs, watermellon, good cheer and lots of climbing talk for all who attended.

thanks to all who helped out. don't miss it next year!

Al
Al Hospers

Edge

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 07:34:14 AM »

Sorry I had to miss it!  Last week was OK with us, but Meaghan had to work yesterday and I was having a furniture-making crisis (think glue up day for a major sideboard carcass.  25+ parts, 20 minutes "open" time on the glue, 40 clamps, and the wishing for 12 hands).

Thank you to everyone who participated!  I will continue to pick up whatever I see everytime we are out climbing, as we all should.  It is easy to throw a plastic grocery bag in the top of your pack and make a difference with each visit.

While I missed the free beer at the Nearledge, I compensated at home... 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 23 queries.