NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: for heavens sake, wear a helmet  (Read 2873 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
Re: for heavens sake, wear a helmet
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 11:36:13 PM »

Whoa. Amazing.

Not only will I be better about wearing my helmet, but I'll want to see a grigri on my partner in more situations than I do today. It saved two lives the day she got hit.
We came to climb, not to whine.

DaveR

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:18:34 AM »

I will never forget the feeling sitting at my supper table that night with the family when I got the call about Sara's accident. I remember wondering every day for weeks if I would ever see my friend again. I never thought it could be so exciting just to hear a friend had wiggled her toes. I also remember seeing her in rehab with her skull caved in and just being so happy she was alive.

Since that day you will not find me near a cliff without a helmet on. The new ones are so light and comfortable there is NO EXCUSE for not wearing one.

Be good to your brain and think about those around you!

Dave

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:28:56 AM »

I had heard of that accident, soon afterwards, but didn't realize till today that it happened on Cat Crack. Somehow, I feel slightly responsible, since Sam Streibert and I put that route in. I know that another climber would of bagged the route, if we hadn't,  but still the thought lingers in my mind.

Perhaps I will start wearing mine more often.

The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:37:55 AM »

And put it on when you reach the base of the cliffs, not when you start up the route methinks..
Tom Stryker

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 07:39:45 AM »

I feel nekid without the lid on when I wear a harness. I put it on when we suit up and leave it on the whole day. I find it really silly to see folks who carry a helmet arround but only use it for leads and take it off for belaying and following. like you get to choose when you will have an accident?

David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 08:10:52 AM »

Let me start off by stating that I wear a helmet. With that said helmets offer very limited protection from what I have read. They mostly protect you from the kinds of injuries that produce lacerations which are not life threatening. The brain is kind of free floating within the skull and when a large force is applied even when wearing a helmet the brain bounces and hits itself against the skull. This will either cause instant damage or brain swelling which may lead to death. This is why football players continue to incur concussions even though they wear a helmet. They are continuing research hoping that with new technology better protection can be provided.
Ok, flame me if you want.

DaveR

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »

Let me start off by stating that I wear a helmet. With that said helmets offer very limited protection from what I have read. They mostly protect you from the kinds of injuries that produce lacerations which are not life threatening. The brain is kind of free floating within the skull and when a large force is applied even when wearing a helmet the brain bounces and hits itself against the skull. This will either cause instant damage or brain swelling which may lead to death. This is why football players continue to incur concussions even though they wear a helmet. They are continuing research hoping that with new technology better protection can be provided.
Ok, flame me if you want.

Say what you want, the injuries would have been bad even with a helmet but it no doubt would have likely helped lessen the severity. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned. Don't be stupid! Wear a helmet.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 08:26:18 AM »

Say what you want, the injuries would have been bad even with a helmet but it no doubt would have likely helped lessen the severity. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned. Don't be stupid! Wear a helmet.

++++++
Al Hospers

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 08:28:14 AM »

I hear the same kind of excuses about seat belts. Why anyone doesn't want to stack the odds in their own favor is beyond me!
Al Hospers

David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 08:34:13 AM »

Maybe you missed the part where I said that I wear a helmet. I never said helmets do not help, I was just explaining the limitations.
As long as what I said stimulates more conversation which leads to awareness and hopefully use of helmets I am happy.

DLottmann

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »

Let me start off by stating that I wear a helmet. With that said helmets offer very limited protection from what I have read. They mostly protect you from the kinds of injuries that produce lacerations which are not life threatening...

Itís true they most often protect you from non-life threatening injuries. Isnít that enough justification to advocate for their use? Iíve loaded two people into ambulances who sustained head injuries climbing that had they been wearing a helmet they may have been able to continue their climbing day...

There really is no question they save lives every year (in almost every sport, not just climbing).

The true value of a helmet IMO is how well it can absorb and dissipate energy during impact. For that reason I prefer non-suspension style helmets like the Meteor and especially the Sirocco.

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 08:54:13 AM »

I've been wearing a helmet at the base of the cliff since July 4, 1998 - after being involved in a rescue at Pok-O from a minor rockfall where the climber suffered a severe head injury and partially severed leg. Being the first to respond (with Base) I never want to go through that again. A helmet would most likely have lessened the severity of the head injury.

The good news is it all worked out for the climber for both the head and leg injury however it was a very long recovery.

Up to that point I was probably like allot of climbers - the helmet went on when I climbed. Off when I was around the base of the cliff.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »

that just seems like a lot of work? do you take you hat of and on all day? i just put my helmet on like a hat and wear the damn thing.

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 09:33:08 AM »

that just seems like a lot of work? do you take you hat of and on all day? i just put my helmet on like a hat and wear the damn thing.

If my helmet is even slightly uncomfortable, I rip it off when I reach the ground. Think about sport climbers who take off or at least un-velcro their downturned shoes while still lowering! Same thing with a helmet for most people, I suspect.

Almost every helmet I've owned has had to be 'fitted out' with custom cut padding and such, even my Meteor III. Well worth it if it stays comfy. And, from what I can tell, uncommon.

Have y'all had to customize your helmet padding, or do I just have a weird head?
We came to climb, not to whine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 23 queries.