Author Topic: 19 year old rescued from Longs Peak  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: 19 year old rescued from Longs Peak
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 05:23:40 PM »
saw this. what a $%&@^%$# up...

Al Hospers

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 06:32:34 PM »
This really had some disaster potential all over it......2 kids,,, well one 'cause 1 didn't make it. Just across the road from me on Mt Blanca...north face.."the bowling alley "  !! I am not shitting you.  17 & 19  the 17 yr is fair and the 19 won't need anymore rescues....this would have been his THIRD in 2 years

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 08:03:10 PM »
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25850459/man-stranded-longs-peak-rock-ledge-calls-help

In Quebec, we have ordinarly one death accident per year because there is no distinction between sport and trad. For Quebec climber, you learn sport, mostly in a gym, do a transition to rock, lead on bolt and after they think that it is simple to plug in a cam and, as they climb 5.11 like the bold climber, they can do every thing.

That kind of accident is the problem with the increase of sport popularity as a first step to trad climbing. The technology transfer from sport to trad doesn't exist.

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 10:06:19 PM »
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25850459/man-stranded-longs-peak-rock-ledge-calls-help

In Quebec, we have ordinarly one death accident per year because there is no distinction between sport and trad. For Quebec climber, you learn sport, mostly in a gym, do a transition to rock, lead on bolt and after they think that it is simple to plug in a cam and, as they climb 5.11 like the bold climber, they can do every thing.

That kind of accident is the problem with the increase of sport popularity as a first step to trad climbing. The technology transfer from sport to trad doesn't exist.

LL - You are a complete f+++++g IDIOT! Did you even read the article???? They were hikers that were idiots! This rescue had nothing to do with either sport or trad or any other kind of climbing.

Kind of comical they were from Quebec, maybe you should seek them out Luke and teach them all about mountain safety! :P

Offline Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 10:35:23 PM »
In Quebec, we have ordinarly one death accident per year because there is no distinction between sport and trad.

Usually, I give what you say the benefit of the doubt.

Now I just doubt that anything you say has any benefit.

We came to climb, not to whine.

DLottmann

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 08:48:33 AM »
Classic LL response.

Jeans & sneakers. These were hikers (barely) who got into technical terrain. Not climbers. Not even sport climbers. See the difference LL?

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 09:14:06 AM »
LL. have you climbed the Diamond ? or even in RMNP ?  The situation is pretty fucked up because of the 14 er mentality..it has nothing to do with technical climbing...nothing

I have climbed in Quebec and found some very competent people..

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 04:17:55 PM »
Read a really fun book about a suburban dad who got the bug to climb all the 14ers. Some very gripping stories due to the total noob status and the inherant danger of mountains. almost got seriously dead quite a few times before he smartened up enough to at least bring micro spikes....

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »
I have climbed in Quebec and found some very competent people..

My best climber friend was a sport climber, a really good one with a lot of skill and he was very generous to gave advice, show good technique and climb with any level climber.

I saw the difference between a 5.10 sport climber and a 5.9 trad climber (i.e. due to overall difficulties, the trad will climb a little lower grade than the sport for a same skill) 

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 08:41:47 AM »
Usually, I give what you say the benefit of the doubt.

Now I just doubt that anything you say has any benefit.

lat year, a hiker felt to his death on mount washington when he try to fill his bottle of water. You have to think that the community of climber in Quebec is about one or two regular climber. The other just climb to be "in a gang". Those who hike also climb in general and wish to do higher pick.

We don't have tradition climber like Joe Cote, SA and a lot of other that I don't meet as often. Those climber are safe by thenmselve: meaning that just the way they climb, you learn.

In the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Zagqh1F9I, of course you can think that a helmet save her an headhache...but she did a lot of beginer mistake. First, she climb the route before because she find without hesitation some hold that are not obvious, second, she didn't place her body to optimize a movement, but in the direction of the hold that she remember. Before she felt, she didn't remember a last hand placement to grab the higher rock and after make the dynamic move to go over the bulge. Those mistake are more important than wearing an helmet (strandman point I think)

Offline DGoguen

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: Re: 19 year old rescued from Longs Peak
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 06:51:59 PM »
the community of climber in Quebec is about one or two regular climber. The other just climb to be "in a gang".

If you believe you may be one of the only two "regular" trad climbers in the entire province, you may lack perspective at the least.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:56:21 PM by DGoguen »
Don't Climb

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
Re: Re: 19 year old rescued from Longs Peak
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 07:11:19 PM »
the community of climber in Quebec is about one or two regular climber. The other just climb to be "in a gang".

one or two hundred of regular climber.

sorry for the mistake

Offline DGoguen

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: Re: Re: 19 year old rescued from Longs Peak
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 07:26:43 PM »

one or two hundred of regular climber.

sorry for the mistake

you're killing me. Ha Ha
I was trying so hard to stay away.
Damn it!

Don't Climb

Offline Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
Re: Re: Re: 19 year old rescued from Longs Peak
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 12:24:07 PM »