Author Topic: 19 year old rescued from Longs Peak  (Read 5248 times)

Offline neiceclimber

• NEClimbs God
Re: 19 year old rescued from Longs Peak
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 07:18:59 AM »
What is the Jack Kerouac mentality?

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2014, 07:58:20 AM »
Have no  real plan, road trip arround the country in a stolen Cadilac drinking booze in search of drugs and writeing about the adventure..

Offline neiceclimber

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2014, 08:39:52 AM »
I assume he means the Kerouac from Dharma Bums. In which case it should be more appropriately labeled the Gary Snyder mentality, as Kerouac just populized Snyder's views. Which I guess we could tie into climbing culture as I imagine Snyder's views and poetry weighed heavily on the minds of Laura and Guy Waterman. Which thus brings us to their son Jonathon, who extrapolated upon these ideas taking them to clean climbing on long hard desperate solo lines in AK during winter and eventually disappearing somewhere on the Ruth Glacier. Which brings us full circle to Jon Krakuer because he FA'd Ham and Eggs off the Ruth Glacier.

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2014, 09:03:51 AM »
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2014, 09:25:45 AM »
The one attempt at climbing a mountain in Dharma bums was so pathetic I could not finish the book...

strandman

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2014, 05:34:44 PM »
Have no  real plan, road trip arround the country in a stolen Cadilac drinking booze in search of drugs and writeing about the adventure..

It wasn't a stolen Caddy..it was Base's "BattleStar"  and we didn't write anything

DLottmann

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »
She didn't have a map. Or compass. She spent the night out 2 hours from her car because she couldn't even figure out what direction north was.

Sorry LL, I have spoken with her first rescuers, she was a great nice fit person who lacked essential gear for hiking in the mountains. A compass... god how am I still arguing about this with you it's been 5 years...

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2014, 11:58:43 PM »
What is the Jack Kerouac mentality?

On the road.

jack kirouac is one who promote the road trip tha many young people do after or before there study to discover the life and the country  without all the confort of the house.

Krakauer mentality is a guy who climb alone in the alaska and burn his tent because he smoke too much cigarette instead of climbing. his work is too promute the confort of the house and he is again the idea of a road trip because it could be dangerous

Offline neiceclimber

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2014, 07:31:30 AM »
Say what you will about Krakauer, but he did put up some damn fine climbs. Ham and Eggs is a most do for any aspiring AK climber, and Devil's Thumb makes it into Ropers 50 Classics.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2014, 07:34:46 AM »
Pretty sure he was smoking pot not cigeretts ;D

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »
:-(

Sad
Al Hospers

strandman

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »
Long's is a magnet, much like MT Washington,  It's so close to population and easy to see. There are quite few easy kind of scrambles around it as well, easy enough to really get inn trouble fast.....It's also a LONG descent from the summit with lots of summer lightning.

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2014, 09:10:24 AM »
Say what you will about Krakauer, but he did put up some damn fine climbs. Ham and Eggs is a most do for any aspiring AK climber, and Devil's Thumb makes it into Ropers 50 Classics.

I didn't read for devil's thumb...but for ham and Eggs: Now with its five-minute approach, this is a relatively safe and non-committing climb to test your Alaskan alpine skills.

Non-committing and safe is more home style climbing out of the couch...not an exceptional ascent. If you read the book where he describe it, you will see that he did it because he was there and burn his tent in relation to his dream to open a great route was out of reach. He did it because his ego to return to the civilization without any results was higher than his fear of the movement. Which is very dangerous in trad climbing, but normal in sport.

Most people on this forum with time and equipment could have done that first ascent practically without knowledge. I prefer some one who work to be good and know about the mountain, about himself. In an interview in quebec, Kirouac critic the hippies mentality, he was a hard worker who went to library, talk to people and discuss with friend...and wrote Drug bring some different vision of the world, but the idea to, like animal do, play around to test there ability and know our proper value without the parents is a most for our society. I am not talking about the beat culture that live aside the rules of the society, but about the learning process to know our limits (by studying the environment), and push them (by trying harder things) to know who we are...and trad climbing is mostly that. In sport, you just try and try again, so you will succeed some day: stick on it!!!   

Offline neiceclimber

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2014, 02:40:06 PM »
Sure a lot of people use the root canal landing, but I humped my ass up there from the gorge and so did the preceding 3 teams in the 3 weeks I was there. Not sure what it takes to have as commitment to you, but when that otter leaves the Gorge feels awfully big and remote. BTW, we had the root canal to ourselves, I felt pretty committed.

Many people on this forum have first ascents and time after time they have all told you your understanding of what an FA is is utter bullshit. Your understanding of commitment is BS. The fact that you can't even spell Kerouac (a French Canadian name) is BS. Your reading comprehension skills are BS.

strandman

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »
i understand commitment..real commitment ..as a virtue when it comes to a route.  Last time i checked..the Ruth is pretty "commitment" in my book

disclaimer- i have only flown over the Ruth..my ref is maybe the black Canyon for rock...I think a bit similar