Author Topic: Podunk/High Rocks  (Read 4452 times)

Offline pgbeckwith

• NEClimbs Newbie
Podunk/High Rocks
« on: June 02, 2014, 03:07:57 pm »
I was wondering if anybody had a more extensive knowledge of Podunk/High Rocks in Brookfield MA. Between co-workers from the spencer area and the internet I've figured out that it's a taller cliff (~80') that at least used to have some bolted sport routes. My friend found the contact of a guy who lets boy scout troops drive through the access road on his property to access a camp ground at the base of the cliff. We haven't tried to see if he'll let us walk through it or not yet. I'm really curious if anyone knows the approximate number of routes/difficulty of the stuff that's there. It's only like 20 minutes from my house, so it'd be awesome to hit on the way home from work.

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
Re: Podunk/High Rocks
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:57:12 pm »
Access to the cliff is on pvt property as is all the land at the base of the cliff and there has been no climbing access there for years. A couple of years ago I had friends arrested there for trespassing. There used to be a guide which I have a copy of.

Offline pgbeckwith

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:41:06 pm »
Well that's too bad.

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:10:23 pm »
There were a handfull of bolted routes from 9 to 12, and another handfull of trad/mixed lines.  Most had no anchors except the couple of routes that I put up.  Chopped by Nichols in all likelihood.   

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 02:13:35 pm »
There were a handfull of bolted routes from 9 to 12, and another handfull of trad/mixed lines.  Most had no anchors except the couple of routes that I put up.  Chopped by Nichols in all likelihood.

It was a fun place while it lasted. :(

Offline DGoguen

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 03:49:27 pm »
I was going there around 1990.
The ancient guy that had the house at the gate was a nice guy, Harold, all he asked is that you go in and look at his model railroad stuff every once in a while.

That place was truly a gem with well developed mixed routes. "Competitive World" 5.8, and "Curving Joe's" 5.10 come to mind.
I think Ken did cop to that one in public. What a shame.
Don't Climb

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:44:18 pm »
I was going there around 1990.
The ancient guy that had the house at the gate was a nice guy, Harold, all he asked is that you go in and look at his model railroad stuff every once in a while.

That place was truly a gem with well developed mixed routes. "Competitive World" 5.8, and "Curving Joe's" 5.10 come to mind.
I think Ken did cop to that one in public. What a shame.

There was also one Dave at about 11b  called "The curve in Joe La...y's d..." I have a copy of the old guide. It was definitely a gem. It was probably around 2000 when my friends were busted there for trespassing.

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 10:30:17 pm »
"The curve in Joe La...y's d..."
What a name for a climb!  Miss climbing and hanging out with Joe.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 05:20:13 am »
"The curve in Joe La...y's d..."
What a name for a climb!  Miss climbing and hanging out with Joe.

I saw Joe about 2 years ago and he doesn't even climb anymore. Real big into his stone sculpture.

Offline pgbeckwith

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 09:31:46 am »
A ton of my coworkers are from that area and still hike to the top. I'm going to keep digging to see if I can find a contact for the base of the cliff to see if it's still off limits.

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:34:46 am »
A ton of my coworkers are from that area and still hike to the top. I'm going to keep digging to see if I can find a contact for the base of the cliff to see if it's still off limits.

If LEGAL access can be obtained to climb there I would be willing to put in the effort to do some re-bolting

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 10:02:25 am »
BOLTING!!!!!!! Oh No!!! We can't have bolting. That would be sport climbing not trad!!! ;) ;)

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 10:13:20 am »
BOLTING!!!!!!! Oh No!!! We can't have bolting. That would be sport climbing not trad!!! ;) ;)

LL can skip all the clips if he wants! ;)

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 01:12:03 pm »
But that would be soloing!!  >:( >:(  >:( >Even worse without a helmet! :( :(

Offline a_dax

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 04:57:20 pm »
If anyone is interested in info on high rock,  let know.
I still climb it and have been working on cleaning old routes.  I live close and have info on access.