Author Topic: Hobbit  (Read 189 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« on: February 18, 2002, 10:25:59 AM »
I got out yesterday for the entire day, something unusual for me. I took a new-second from the AMC ice climbing program out. we did Smear, and then Pegasus. Smear was in reasonable but a bit slushy & Pegasus wasn't too bad, but slightly hollow.

when we walked around we met a party who had just finished Hobbit. they said it was in good conditions & since I'd been wanting to do it for a long time I decided to give it a shot. the gully "approach" was really neat and I would easily reccomend it to anyoe who leads in the 3-3+ range. you can get off left to the Pegasus rock finish belay & rap if so desired.

Hobbit itself was very very cool. you can protect under the curtain and then you hang under & work your way out and up onto the curtain itself. you just have to take it a move at a time & not get psyched out about it. there are nubbins out on the rock right for your feet, monopoints are definitely recommended. when I got on the column & up about 3 feet I got in a screw & then it was just 15 more feet of vertical ice to the top. absolutely, totally great fun. I'd say it was in the 4+ range, in spite of the ice being very plastic. I've seconded grade 6 ice & M7 mixed stuff as well as led my share of 5's but this was the hardest technical thing I think I've done. I'm still pretty psyched about it. <grin>

many thanks to the English climber and his partner as well as guide Art Mooney for the encouragment. it was well worth the effort.
Al Hospers
my music

web hosting, design and software programming: