NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Elevated Bugcon?  (Read 795 times)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: Elevated Bugcon?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »

You wouldn't want to have  to carry some , Oh so heavy cams ....!

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 09:58:40 AM »

Which flake, Pappy, Ginsu Flake over on the Main Wall? That was done sans bolts by Hartrich, but then had a few bolts put in later by folks who didn't realize it had already been climbed. I am pretty sure they checked with Mike once they found out and he was OK with it. It has had the bolts from before I went out there and I think most who climb it feel the flake is expando, especially up high, so welcome them.
It is a fun climb. Get on it!
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/ginsu-flake/106753479 more info here.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:27:31 AM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 12:46:12 PM »

Yeah, it was Ginsu. From what I saw and felt, that flake ain't going anywhere. A little bit of flex never hurt anyone. ::)  Guess I'll have to go ahead and lead it on gear when I go back (since it is the only sub-.10 route on the wall) so that I come back here and make snide remarks about Yankee weenies. ;D
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »

Bring a few #4 Camalots.

There are other established routes there of the same grade or under: Hippy Bus over on the left side is an easy 7. The right variation start of Blurry Eyes is an 8 (the second pitch is a nice 10 if you like slabs);first pitch of Green Party 5.9-, and the first pitch of Stewart's Crack is 5.9. Over at the Northeastern Crags There is Jolly Green Giant and Big Red Shoes, both 9+. Don't get on Jolly Green Giant though. You might be incensed by the bolts on the wide part. Since it is the warm-up route of the crag, I didn't want people to have to buy a bunch of BigBros for it. Nice and convenient  :-*
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 02:50:06 PM »

walked over to Fun House this afternoon & the blackflies were brutal, stopped to chat with someone at the kiosk and there were no bugs, walked home through the woods and there were tons of bugs and I found 2 ticks on me!

go figure...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »

Yeah, it was Ginsu. From what I saw and felt, that flake ain't going anywhere. A little bit of flex never hurt anyone. ::)  Guess I'll have to go ahead and lead it on gear when I go back (since it is the only sub-.10 route on the wall) so that I come back here and make snide remarks about Yankee weenies. ;D

WELL, if your gonna become a sub 510 weenie   8) I got #4-6..doubles

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 11:27:08 AM »

I'm already a sub-5.10 weenie, I just don't need no stinkin' bolts to be that. Since I can't go to CO to abscond with your big cams, I'll just have to use my original rigid Friends and my prized #4 1st gen Chouinard Camalot. And yes, I do still use that shit, although it occurred to me recently that I think I last replaced the knotted slings on the Friends in, oh, '93 or so. Might be time.

And it's a little sad when my #2 Camalot with the original double cable stems droops down (like so much else when you get old) when you try to pull the trigger, but I've got the trick of using it down. You should hear people cuss though when they borrow my rack and try to use it, not that many are dumb enough to do that anymore.

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »

Could it be the wens?

No, it is climate change.

Next year, if the bugs are bad, it will be due to climate change as well.

I've been out a few days this week. I think the bugs are all cooked from the heat. Barely getting bitten at Rumney. Ticks are a different story, though. Found 3 on me in a single day. 
We came to climb, not to whine.

pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »

Three, huh. Yankee sensitivities.  ::) Ticks are slow, easily disposed of and not terribly irritating along the way. But I always have a story: When I lived in CO the wife and I, and the dog, drove into the South Platte to go into a back country dome (don't remember which, but we had to wind back on some twisty dirt roads--relevant). Got to the trailhead, parked, started the half mile hike in, it's July, did I mention that? As we get to the valley below the dome I look down and my socks are...moving. Like a bad acid trip. Looking closer there are hundreds of ticks crawling upwards. Freaking, check with the wife and yep, she's coated, too. Immediately we turn around, run back to the car and and both strip in the middle of the road brushing, picking, and squashing. Car has been baking in the sun and once we are reasonably certain we're clean we open and discover the dog has objected to the drive in and puked in the back seat at some point. Closer examination shows the dog is coated, too. Climbing is completely out the window, drive back to Breckenridge with all the windows down, still found three more ticks in, ummm, personal spaces while showering. New England ticks are amateurs, if we can wipe out the black flies I'm a happy camper.

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 02:23:51 PM »

Three, huh. Yankee sensitivities.  ::) Ticks are slow, easily disposed of and not terribly irritating along the way.

All true. I dislike black flies as much as the next New Englander, but ticks still creep me out! I couldn't imagine being coated as in that story. I think I'd freak.
We came to climb, not to whine.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 07:32:35 PM »

I climbed in Berlin on Tuesday, hardly any bugs. Was on the bike yesterday on the Nanamacomoc and the mosquitoes and black flies were terrible.
Al Hospers

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 09:14:39 PM »

I climbed in Berlin on Tuesday, hardly any bugs. Was on the bike yesterday on the Nanamacomoc and the mosquitoes and black flies were terrible.

Back to the OP then- shouldn't be a 5, right?

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »

Back to the OP then- shouldn't be a 5, right?

You're a pest Kenny... ;-)

Might come down a notch tho...
Al Hospers

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 09:55:12 AM »

Three, huh. Yankee sensitivities.  ::) Ticks are slow, easily disposed of and not terribly irritating along the way.

All true. I dislike black flies as much as the next New Englander, but ticks still creep me out! I couldn't imagine being coated as in that story. I think I'd freak.

Colorado ticks are bad..much worse than the snakes,,But NE black flies are still the worst

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »

I'll take black flies over ticks and poisonous snakes any day.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 24 queries.