Author Topic: who dropped the tree?  (Read 126 times)

Offline haircity

• NEClimbs Newbie
who dropped the tree?
« on: July 28, 2004, 12:12:36 PM »
Hey Al....

I was headed out from Cathedral for a ride in the Moats this past weekend and noticed someone dropped a tree in front of the Bryce Path/Echo Lake Trail entrance at the bend in the road.

Obvsously to deter/prevent camping poachers?

-Fred

Offline Erik_N

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: who dropped the tree?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 04:03:37 PM »
That tree was dropped to prevent motorized vehicles from entering private and State land.  There has always been an issue with illegal camping, partying, and leaving tons of trash in that area.  It,s been a cat and mouse game trying to prevent vehicles from getting in there since they don,t mind running over trees to make their entrance.  A fallen tree isn,t the most aesthetic road block but it works.

Offline haircity

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 10:03:04 AM »
Trust me, I know it well. I'm in that neighborhood.

A number of us there have called CPD more than once...

Offline haircity

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 10:04:34 AM »
Perhaps the state will take that queue and put in a fence or some more/bigger bollards etc.

Offline DWarriner

• NEClimbs God
  • - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 12:59:19 PM »
Ethically speaking, I thought "Tree Chopping" was frowned upon at Cathedral?

-d
There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.

Offline Erik_N

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 03:06:05 PM »
Haircity-
Where would the fence start and where would it end?  There are so many bootleg entrances that have developed over the years that I,m not sure what the solution would be.  I have noticed trails that have been  brushed in so they won,t be used anymore only to be  brushed out by somebody else for who knows what reason.
Look at the climber,s trails that go to Cathedral. There,s a map in the Kiosk showing the trails; there are trail head signs; the trails are blazed in yellow, and older trails are brushed in, yet folks still need to bushwhack straight in to their climb.  I see it every day.
D. Warriner-
Cutting trees are not only unethical but against the law on State property if you don,t have permission.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 09:45:11 PM »
Following marked trails is somthing we should all try to do as much as possible. once in a while you get mixed up and off the trail but it shouldn't happen intentionaly. Bushwacking in a high use area is pretty destructive.

Offline haircity

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 12:44:42 PM »
Agreed.

As well...the whole Bryce Path/Cathedral/Whitehorse/Buchard Cabin area gets lots of pressure and I come back with armfuls/camelback fulls / packfulls of sh*t all the time.

But I see alot of folk doing the same, so it's goodness...