Author Topic: Time for a new knee  (Read 1418 times)

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
Time for a new knee
« on: July 15, 2014, 10:36:19 AM »
Cardio finally gave the OK for knee replacement.. first the left and see how it goes. The ortho guy says i'll be wheelchaired without it by next spring, so we take our chances.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
Re: Time for a new knee
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 12:16:43 PM »
Why don't you just go full on hi-tech prostheses like Hugh, John? No more ugly toenails to keep clipped and you can tailor the ends to the purpose.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline MT

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 02:15:50 PM »
Some friendly advice....

The first month post-knee replacement is accompanied by a profound loss of lower extremity skeletal muscle size and strength that's hard to recover. The pain will be gone, but it takes almost a full year to recover what you lose in that first month, if you even get it back. 

There's a really good PT that does high-level research into getting folks back to full function post-knee replacement at UC Denver (J. Stevens-Lapsley). She's doing the best research in the field right now focused on early, post-surgical rehab approaches to mitigate strength/function losses. If you're not close enough to Denver, you might ask your Ortho surgeon or PT to look into it to prevent those early, post-surgical losses.

Best of luck,

Mike 

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 02:49:11 PM »
Good luck old man. Hope all goes well. At least now you will be able to legally consume pain killers!! ;D ;D

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:36:32 PM »
Thanks mike...my cardio is at UC Denver. it about 200 miles each way though  :'(  i will be hitting the leg muscles pretty hard

Steve..i live near some folks who run Mt Washington..really hardcores..they train at 9,000'

thanks

Online Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »
On the positive side, George Hurley had both of his done a little over 2 years ago at the age of 87. He has fully recovered and back doing everything he wants. He did one, then the other 7 weeks later!
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 11:34:47 PM »
Al, George will be giving you penalty slack for aging him 10 years!! :o

Online Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 11:40:46 PM »
Sorry, of course, 77... ;-)
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 07:18:02 AM »
That would be 10 feet of penalty slack!

Hey, John, all the best, man!  Hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »
John, here's wishing your new knee treats you as well as my 2 hip replacements--All the best!!

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »
thanks..the 2 hips are great..I look foward to PT....cause that's the way i am

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
  You sicko.. :D
  Insist on an ice therapy machine to take home with you. Those puppies have really made doing PT and using a CPM much more tolerable for people. Remember though: take it off after 30 minutes no matter how good it feels!
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 05:30:35 PM »
They seem to be realizing more and more that ice should not be used most of the time, that it in fact retards the healing process.  Icing is an old, discredited idea except for things like trying to lesson brain swelling or something or cooling the body so they can try to bring it back from the dead later (seriously, doctors have been successful draining the blood from severe trauma victims who have technically died and replacing it with cooled saline solution to keep the body from breaking down while they work on it. Once they replace the blood and warm it back up the heart spontaneously starts beating again)
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 07:10:01 PM »
  You sicko.. :D
  Insist on an ice therapy machine to take home with you. Those puppies have really made doing PT and using a CPM much more tolerable for people. Remember though: take it off after 30 minutes no matter how good it feels!

A relative just used one for his shoulder surgery andloved it.....do they get really cold ? I like COLD

Ice doesn't help healing,but it sure reduces swelling and inflammation.i am still on the fence about this one

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 07:27:48 PM »
Inflammation is part of the healing process. The ice makes you feel better because it numbs you out.

http://www.caringmedical.com/sports-injuries/rice-why-we-do-not-recommend-it/

Just one article quickly picked out from a search, but there are tons more you can find.

"What about inflammation? Should it be reduced with ice?
Inflammation is necessary because it plays an important role in the healing and recovery of muscle cells and soft tissue regeneration. Tissue that is damaged through trauma or vigorous exercise requires inflammation. When muscles and other tissues are damaged, your body sends inflammatory cells to the damaged tissue to promote healing. Inflammatory cells rush to injured tissue to start the healing. “During the early period of inflammation, damaged muscle cells are eliminated by phagocytosis of macrophages.” The macrophages release a hormone called insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) into the damaged tissues, which helps muscles and other injured parts to heal. Mirkin states, “Applying ice to reduce swelling actually delays healing by preventing the body from releasing IGF-1.”1 Muscle cell regeneration takes place by recruiting stem cells from surrounding tissues. This early response can last for a week along with the elevated circulating levels of CK-MB and myoglobin during the regeneration phase. Thus any change in these rates, as occurs with ice application, would be expected to affect the timing of muscle regeneration. Tseng et al conclude, “The result of greater increases in exercise-induced CK-MB and myoglobin levels between 48 and 72 h post-exercise and peak shift in inflammatory cytokine IL-12p70 may reflect a change in the time course of cell turnover and muscle regeneration by topical cooling. As it stands, our results provide evidence that topical cooling does not enhance and appears to delay the return to normal of muscle damage markers and subjective fatigue feeling after eccentric exercise. The surge in tissue oxygenation after removal of the cooling application may be part of the mechanisms involved in the delayed recovery. Collectively, these results indicate that intervention with topical cooling disrupts the normal adaptive responses to exercise.”
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:33:00 PM by M_Sprague »

-Ralph Waldo Emerson