Author Topic: Cathedral at night...  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Cathedral at night...
« on: July 27, 2014, 12:30:49 AM »
So I played a festival this afternoon. Then I have a last minute session and I've been recording and then mixing all evening. I finally finish up, pour myself a cognac, turn off all the outside lights and walk out on the back deck to relax for a few minutes before I crash for the night. I'm sitting there in my deck chair, looking at the sky filled with stars and I kind of glance over at the Thin Air face on Cathedral and I see a light, where there really shouldn't be one. Then I hear the unmistakable call of "Off belay!" Holy Moly!!! I now see lights up at the top of the cliff, and what looks like a pair of lights about halfway up! WTF? So I sit out there for 10 minutes or so, savoring my drink, watching someone climb up the face, with a really bright headlamp.

AMAZING...
Al Hospers

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Cathedral at night...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:44:53 AM »
I have never been into night time rock climbing but have done a fair bit of night time ice.  dec and january there is not a whole lot of daylight hours to play with 8)

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 06:50:37 AM »
Cognac makes you imagine things Al! My last night climbing wasn't planned! My last planned night climbing was in the Canadian Rockies in January many years ago - talk about very little daylight! You have to climb via head lamp - especially approaches. But that far north makes for great climbing days in the summer!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:12:01 AM by markvnh »

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 07:32:12 AM »
Cognac makes you imagine things Al

LOL
Al Hospers

sneoh

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:34:21 AM »
Bad weather foiled our one attempt to do this very thing BITD, at full moon.  I have to say I wish we had tried a second time.

Now that we have LED headlamps with a wide of illumination levels and white light, it will make things a little easier.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:16:35 PM by sneoh »

strandman

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »
Headlamps are cheating on Cathedral.  :D

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 03:02:56 PM »
Al, after you took Brandie and I up Upper Refuse last year, she and I went back the next day to climb it again.  By the time we found our way down via the trail it was right at dusk.  Ended up with the headlamp on for the entire lead...

We did talk about trying it on a full moon last year but never got to it.  Might be something to think about again.

sneoh

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 03:17:05 PM »
We did talk about trying it on a full moon last year but never got to it.  Might be something to think about again.
Definitely!

strandman

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 04:26:00 PM »
The start of children's is awesome at night, and WH standard  is classic, just stay out of the arch and your fine

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 09:52:34 PM »
Flew up to North Conway from southern NH after work a few months back. Climbed beginners on WH and finished in the dark... Enjoyable. Getting married in late September. After the rehearsal dinner the bride to be wants to do the traditional night apart (what I refer to as: second bachelor party) hoping to speckle the Whitehorse slabs with my climbing friends with headlamps.
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 08:02:51 AM »
I did a couple of nighttime ascents on Cathedral back in the early 80's. Also once did a traverse of the Presidentials at night during a full moon in September. I always thought it was pretty cool to climb/hike at night. Typically there are no crowds at that time of day.

Echo

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 08:05:45 AM »
Black Pudding Gully by full moon many years ago... awesome. And Standard Route at Franks by headlamp during a light snow squall... made that 3 pitch route feel like a really big route :)

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 08:43:40 AM »

white horse in full moon most be very interesting, I try to do it in July and didn't find partner. I also finish at dark at the summit of standard and had to find my way down to the car without headlamp. some other climbers had to sleep in the route. climbing at dark is fun as far as it is plan.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 09:22:12 AM »
Black Pudding Gully by full moon many years ago... awesome.

That sounds really cool!!!

++++
Al Hospers

mendonza

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »
Hey Al,

Hope we didn't make too much noise ;)

12 of us did thin air that night around 11am. We took less that 2 hours for all parties mostly doing it as 2 long pitches. Not bad for a nighttime beer fueled outing.

We got a few good long exposure photos hopefully someone can post them up soon.

Cheers,
Matt