Author Topic: Cathedral at night...  (Read 2659 times)

ja-bruno-man

Re: Cathedral at night...
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
Zee Photos (Sorry for the low quality):

Echo

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 02:50:17 PM »
Those pics are awesome, sounds like a blast. The stars have barely moved in those long exposure shots so it was indeed a quick night ascent.

bag11s

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »
Climbing at night is fun and I have done some modest number of pitches by headlamp. But it is especially moving to climb in a remote area far from human generated night-time light sources. I once climbed some compelling routes at Queen Creek Canyon AZ just by moonlight alone on a balmy summer night- these were fairly hard at 5.11. I had met this highly motivated climber who had travelled straight there from New Orleans and he said I had to stay and keep going, that the best was yet to come. We climbed late into the night without any artificial light at all on surreal 80 foot volcanic tuft gumdrops. This was just a little thing and a long time ago, but i still love the memory of it. The bright light of the moon somehow did not eclipse arch of the Milky Way, it free flowing ribbon pasted across the gigantic bowl of the indigo night sky. There are some moments that you just do not want to ever end.

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 06:01:15 PM »
I've done some night climbing- both solo and roped with/without lights. Ya know- 5.5/ 5.6 stuff.

I cannot imagine for the life of me how it's possible to climb 5.11 with no light- even with a moon.

Not sayin you didn't. Just sayin it's a stretch in my mind.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 06:10:38 PM »
There are some moments that you just do not want to ever end.

WORD
Al Hospers

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 06:15:13 PM »
Hope we didn't make too much noise ;)

12 of us did thin air that night around 11am. We took less that 2 hours for all parties mostly doing it as 2 long pitches. Not bad for a nighttime beer fueled outing.

We got a few good long exposure photos hopefully someone can post them up soon.

it was very cool to see Matt, and needless to say very unexpected. As someone posted, I thought I was experiencing a cognac-fueled delusion... tho the "On Belay: at about 11:30 did kind of echo through the neighborhood. ;-) who had the red light at the top of the cliff?

If you don't mind I'd like to try to use one as a NEC home page pic. can you send me the originals to al AT NEClimbs DOT com... of course I will give credit as due...

Al Hospers

mendonza

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 11:49:09 AM »
I asked for the originals and i'll get them over to you. A bunch of us had red lights, all the new BD and Petzl headlamps have a red mode to help maintain night vision.

There has been a contest amongst us for the fastest thin air climb at night. Rules are: Must use a rope, each climber leads at least one pitch, no simulclimbing.

current record is 25ish minutes i think.

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »
Oh shit. I'm down. I bet we could climb it faster than that.

You SURE there's no simul-climbing? Also, you need an official time. None of this "25ish" stuff. We need 25.34

jden

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 08:53:20 AM »
I experienced a pretty intense display of the northern lights over north conway from a few pitches up the whitehorse slabs. Ive never seen such a vibrant display before or after. One of the most memorable climbing experiences ever for me! That was probably close to 10 years ago now.

strandman

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 10:16:31 AM »
The red light was the long rumored cathedral brothel

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 10:26:41 AM »
The red light was the long rumored cathedral brothel

LOL
Al Hospers

mendonza

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 11:07:17 AM »
The official time right now adhering to the above rules is 25:27. Also this is the time for thin air, not the record for longest time in the cathedral brothel ;)

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »
If you don't mind I'd like to try to use one as a NEC home page pic. can you send me the originals to al AT NEClimbs DOT com... of course I will give credit as due...

support the request.

adventure climbing was one of my first post two or three years ago. No competition to keep the integrity of the cliff and the solemnity of the night.

bag11s

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 05:51:12 PM »
I've done some night climbing- both solo and roped with/without lights. Ya know- 5.5/ 5.6 stuff.

I cannot imagine for the life of me how it's possible to climb 5.11 with no light- even with a moon.

Not sayin you didn't. Just sayin it's a stretch in my mind.

Its true. Sport climbs.

strandman

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 06:37:12 PM »
25 in the brothel ??? shit, talk about enduro mans longest hangout  :)