Author Topic: Family top roping in North Conway area  (Read 7114 times)

Offline Chinos

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: Family top roping in North Conway area
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 07:54:50 AM »
i have guided elephants head with children plenty. we held hands crossing the road and made sure to wear pants and long sleeve shirts as well for safety!

Seriously LL, i guess whitehorse and cathedral are out of the question to. come on man

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
FYI of the places mentioned only Elephant Head, Jockey Cap and Square Ledge can be set up without leading something...

All, you made a preciseness that just three cliff can be set up and I made a preciseness that one is close to the road (noise, no place to lunch (long sleeve) and potentially dangerous for children to play around while mother or father is climbing)

Nobody said any thing again you, and they critics me, what is your trick?

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 10:26:18 AM »
Family top roping in North Conway area

Scott

family or non-family climbing, sport and trad climbing, top rope or lead...

Scott! you make a lot of distinction between climber.

climbing is the same for any body. why didn't you bring your family in strandman route. You are going to have fun and there will be no distinction, all the same ethic.

Offline DaveR

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:27 AM »
FYI of the places mentioned only Elephant Head, Jockey Cap and Square Ledge can be set up without leading something...

All, you made a preciseness that just three cliff can be set up and I made a preciseness that one is close to the road (noise, no place to lunch (long sleeve) and potentially dangerous for children to play around while mother or father is climbing)

Nobody said any thing again you, and they critics me, what is your trick?

His trick is to know what he is talking about and not being an obnoxious all knowing prick!

All 3 places are safe with kids.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:32:19 AM by DaveR »

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 10:51:21 AM »
Although I quite often disagree with LL opinions and facts I do not remember 1 time when he personalizes a critique against the individual person. Rather than calling him obnoxious which is rather hard to do unless you know him in real life, one could say that the way he states something comes across as obnoxious versus he is obnoxious. I know the distinction seems small but, the difference could be huge by the person receiving the comment. Luke you on the other hand may want a friend to proof things that you want to say in a public forum to make sure that it will be received in a positive tone unless you like being called out all the time. The other alternative is that Luke not post. I however find that he does get us to really come out of our shells and say how we feel.
Just my nickels worth even if it isn't worth 2 cents.

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »
Luke, sometimes you come across as an obvious troll.

Also; half the time, you don't know what you are talking about....  the other half, it only seems that way.

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 04:15:09 PM »
i have guided elephants head with children plenty. we held hands crossing the road and made sure to wear pants and long sleeve shirts as well for safety!

Seriously LL, i guess whitehorse and cathedral are out of the question to. come on man
For guiding when you are payed to take care of the safety and family top roping is not the same thing for me.

In mountain project they describe the route as:  "a quaint quality of exposure and position...right above the road. This of course encourages the requisite tourist rubbernecking and Kodak moments and beginners (and vets) feel heroic as cars pass directly underneath their feet."

So, if Scott arrive with his family and want a quiet and safe place, maybe it is not so good for his family. better to know then to ignore???

strandman

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 05:38:38 PM »
LL - if you are going to give my routes shit, then at least climb some of them first .  Have you ? this is a beginers thread, othe rthan maybe Saigon, my routes are not for beginners and hopefully never will be.

The thread repeats...have you ever done an f/a ?  NO..i do routes that you can't repeat !  ya I'm an asshole ..so what.

Echo

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 08:49:46 PM »
someone came here to ask for family top-rope suggestions...

it has degenerated into another LL bashing thread...

Put yourself in the new OP’s place...

Makes one wonder why any of us stick around

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »
"someone came here to ask for family top-rope suggestions...

it has degenerated into another LL bashing thread...

Put yourself in the new OP’s place...

Makes one wonder why any of us stick around"

+1 to Echo

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 12:06:51 PM »
someone came here to ask for family top-rope suggestions...

In my opinion, there is no real good place to climb with your family in north conway area. Rumney is a better place. I saw many people from Quebec going there and they take a secion of the cliff and set many rope.there ishing  four or six parents for the same number of children and they climb each one after the other. This gave the occasion for the parents to climb "hard" without to have to hire some one for the child. Bolt are very good as the parents can go down very fast and he can try very hard move that he won't try other way.

North conway is more for daugter/son with dad or mom. In a first trip, you want some thing exciting, like elephant head, where you have to work with each other to go to the summit. At that stage, I thing that the child most try as many technique as he can. He will remember ten percent of it, but will know that there is much more than just clipping a bolt. he most learn the danger and how to avoid it, more than how to make a 5.11 move without technique...by imitation. The fun of climbing will begin from eighteen to sixty with good and bad sequences. They will have the time to climb hard, if you have done every thing the first three years, why should you climb more. You probably do all the hardiest problem if you climb intensively.

Boulder is a different class. The movement are really hard and a lot of effort is place in doing the movement perfectly. As a gymnaste, the climber will try and try many time a move to be able to master it. As the goal is to make one move, it is not important if they don't reach the summit onsight. The important is how hard is the move and how efficient you are. As it can be hard to find boulder, the climber look around, in the air and saw that some section of a route is a boulder. To climb it, they need a stance. the stance is a bolt. So boulder climber prefer to do a boulder close to the ground, but they will make some in a cliff.

Trad climbing is also different. The goal is not really the movement, not really the commitment, mostly a good relationship with your partner to have good time, an expedition with a bottom of the cliff and a summit, etc. hard to define.  But it is always with a better understanding of our reaction under stress.

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 04:02:35 PM »
Just to add my two cents…for what thats worth…..I believe LL is opposed to Elephant's Head with children because it is close to the road. The original post stated that the "children" he would take climbing were 12, 14, and 17 years old. In my opinion those are not children. It was great when my daughter was 17 because she could drive me to the cliff. At 14 both my kids could lead much of what can be done on Elephant's Head and at 12 they both were approaching my level of maturity. So there you have it. We've solved this issue. ;D ;D

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »
Just to add my two cents…for what thats worth…..I believe LL is opposed to Elephant's Head with children because it is close to the road. The original post stated that the "children" he would take climbing were 12, 14, and 17 years old. In my opinion those are not children. It was great when my daughter was 17 because she could drive me to the cliff. At 14 both my kids could lead much of what can be done on Elephant's Head and at 12 they both were approaching my level of maturity. So there you have it. We've solved this issue. ;D ;D

It is an answer respectfull.

I can precise my opinion in saying that I am not opposed to elephants head. I wrote: "elephant head with children on the side of the road???". it doesn't mean that it is not a great place. 

Echo

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 09:24:45 AM »
In my opinion, there is no real good place to climb with your family in north conway area. Rumney is a better place. I saw many people from Quebec going there and they take a secion of the cliff and set many rope.there ishing  four or six parents for the same number of children and they climb each one after the other.

I can’t disagree that Rumney isn’t great for families, but the OP was looking for options in the North Conway area, of which there are plenty, especially with older kids like the OP has.

If you have ever climbed at Elephants Head you would realize the base of the cliff is not close enough to the road to endanger kids (though we are talking about mature teenager’s here).

If we are going to that side of the Whites Echo Crag & Artists Bluff are great for families if someone can lead... the Square Inch Wall at Echo has lots of 5.6-5.7 G rated routes that share anchors with 5.9-5.10 climbs, so it’s usually pretty simple to get some TR’s going on easy and moderate routes, though this wall may be busy if a camp group is around...

scottfsmith

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 03:56:06 PM »
OP here.. we went to Humphreys Ledge today and had a great time.  No crowds in spite of it being a total zoo in North Conway. It was hard to tell exactly what climbs we were on, but we found a nice spot and kept moving the rope around a bit to get to different climbs.    I think it was around Yellowjacket, there was a yellow jacket nest at the base and there was a yellow sling with a rappel ring at the top -??  Some small furry animal was digging up the nest when we got there and for awhile the bees were unhappy, but they calmed down.

Scott