NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel to Yosemite--Help Needed  (Read 115 times)

salty

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Travel to Yosemite--Help Needed
« on: August 11, 2004, 08:34:33 PM »

Anyone out there have any advice on getting from San Fran to Yosemite?  There is a trian to Merced, then a bus into the park, but the train sounds like a pain in the ass to get to from the airport.  As for renting a car, neither Merced or the park have drop offs, and we are not planning on having a car since we are there for 3+ weeks.  Any advice or suggestions????

Erik_N

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: Travel to Yosemite--Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 04:45:06 AM »

Rent a car if you can afford it.  It gives a home base for all your gear, makes travel easier, and unless your planning to do multiple routes on El Cap it's nice to have a car to get to other cliffs like Reeds, Cookie etc..  Besides, if you're there for 3+ weeks it's worth going to Tuolumne, the Needle's or some long alpine routes on the east side of the Sierras.

Ivan_Chomkin

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 07:35:40 AM »

When we were there last year without a car, we actually took the Greyhound to Merced, and then the Yosemite shuttle from there. Be sure to check the times, because you may end up having to spend the night in Merced (like we did) and then catching the morning shuttle.

On the way back, however, we did take Amtrak. They have their own shuttle that takes you across the bay into SF.

It's a bit more of a hassle than driving, but it ended up being lots of fun...makes the whole trip much more eventful. I'd do it again if I had to.

DWarriner

• NEClimbs God
  • - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 02:40:34 PM »

Rent a car.

I was there about 10 years ago and my friend picked me up, but then I had to get back to San Francisco on my own.  What a huge pain.  The bus got me to Merced, then the train got me to Oakland, but the tracks stopped there.  So I had to take a second bus to get to downtown San Francisco.   It took 8 hours to go 200 miles.  

Rent a car.

It was like one of those stupid reality shows where you had to go around the world or something with limitted means -  except I was going from one of the most popular national parks in the country to one of the most popular cities in the country.

Rent a car.

If you have to do it one way, maybe, but round trip no way - you've just wasted 2 days you could have been climbing.

Rent a car.

-David
There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 03:36:28 PM »

the shuttles may have gotten a lot better. when we were in Zion this spring we did have a car but used the shuttle in the park and it worked just fine.

DWarriner

• NEClimbs God
  • - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 06:34:40 AM »

RE: .0

I reread your post, if you're going to be there 3 weeks, then renting a car might be less optimal.  So to answer your original question, yes, it is a hassle getting there (or at least it used to be).

RE: -.1

It's not the shuttle in the park that has the issues, it's getting from the airport/city to the park that is surprisingly convoluted.

-David
There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.

Eric McCallister

• NEClimbs Full Member
    • www.mccallisterphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 09:12:26 PM »

don't you HAVE to use the shuttle in Zion now?

I'd suggest renting a car as others have. I spent two weeks in the Valley last summer and the car was a blessing. As has been said before... its a convenient "base camp" and allows you to move around easily if you're cragging versus spending the majority of your time on the Captain.

BTW, for those that have done it, how do you swing camping in the park for multiple weeks? We bandit camped at the base of El Cap the first week and then did our max 7 days at Camp 4 the second. Do they drop or not enforce the 7 day max rule? For us, not having a campsite, made having a car key!

e.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 09:13:10 PM by emac »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.