Author Topic: better than you would think  (Read 149 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
better than you would think
« on: February 22, 2002, 08:44:50 PM »
 ;D
hard to believe but there is still ice out there & some of it's better than you'd think. just look for stuff in places where it's shady.

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Steve Jacques

Re: better than you would think
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2002, 06:18:11 AM »
 :o ;D
I climbed with a friend in the RAIN on thursday 2/21...We climbed Hitchcock Gully. The first pitch was actually really good...No ice, but fun wet rock climbing...And the second pitch was just stellar ice...East Face right in good...East Slabs melting...There was lot's of running water on everything...Plastic Hero Ice on Hitchcock...If it gets cold again there will be some great conditions.

Offline Walt

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Gotta love Fred, His whole town is ROCK !
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2002, 04:55:10 PM »
 :o  I was up at Smear on Sat. with an ice fest group and alot of, (read most of) Chia came down. There was even some very noisy rockfall that came down to the right of Bobs. Be careful !!

Seth

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2002, 07:24:38 AM »
One BIG tip to find good ice :
look on the NORTH facing slopeS!

Unfortunately in NH many of the great venues are south facing or southeast facing (ie; frankenstein, willard,
cannon etc.  

We've been finding great ice on north facing areas in Vt and NY.  With the recent rain, many things are actually building!  The recent tragic accident on poke-o should be a reminder to play it conservatively on those warm and wet days-go to the library or something instead.  

Al Hospers

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2002, 10:26:31 AM »
I'm down in Fla at my dad's for a bit so I am not seeing the actual conditions first hand, but I agree with what everyone is saying... be careful & you can have fun. take risks right now & it could be catestrophic. there is ice to be climbed, but know when to back off. I'm kind of amazed to hear of folks on Smear. I did it last week & thought it would be done for soon. not surprising to hear about Chia.

be safe folks!

Al