Author Topic: Suggestions for WI3 top rope laps  (Read 2862 times)

Offline sherbi

• NEClimbs Newbie
Suggestions for WI3 top rope laps
« on: January 08, 2015, 04:48:08 pm »
Hi,

We are two beginners (started ice climbing last year, proper training with a guide), we have done a mix of top-rope and WI1-2 multi-pitch in the north-east, and we are looking for some suggestions to do WI3-4 top-rope laps (accessible from the top) trying to avoid the big crowds of the North End. We are also hikers, so we don't mind longer approaches.

We very much liked Arethusa's left, but other options are always interesting. Thanks for any help.

Nemesis

Re: Suggestions for WI3 top rope laps
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 05:02:35 pm »
Texaco

Nemesis

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 05:03:41 pm »
Champney can be fun too

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 07:27:42 pm »
Lots of opportunities in The Flume for top roping which is not that far from North Conway.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:30:44 pm by David_G48 »

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 08:27:43 pm »
There is a good short wall in Smugglers Notch but I forget what they call it. Walking up the road away from Stowe it will be on your right a little after you get to the top of the notch and start heading down the other side. It's basically across the road from the easy grade I/II slide (Jefferson Slide?)

Many options and easy access to the top with lots of trees for anchors. 
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline sherbi

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 08:46:24 pm »
There is a good short wall in Smugglers Notch but I forget what they call it. Walking up the road away from Stowe it will be on your right a little after you get to the top of the notch and start heading down the other side. It's basically across the road from the easy grade I/II slide (Jefferson Slide?)

The playground ? We tried to give it a shot last year, but a group of skier were filming some ski stunt over there. Didn't seem that easy to tackle though.

We look for the workout wall that is supposed to be at the other end (coming from Stowe), but I'm not sure we found it (what we found was very short and steep).

We finaly went back to Stowe's end to find Driving force.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:17:33 am by sherbi »

Offline sherbi

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 08:53:59 pm »
Texaco / Champney.

It is possible that Texaco didn't form very well last year ? We got there before going to Arethusa and we never found something like what can be seen in the second picture here : http://www.ime-usa.com/imcs/2009/01/26/bring-your-friends/

We went to Champney on a Friday and 4 others parties joined us in the AM, maybe it was unusual, but we never dared go back on a weekend.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:18:04 am by sherbi »

Offline neiceclimber

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 09:19:54 am »

You're talking about the workout wall. Coming from Stowe it's over the notch, past the burned outhouses, and uphill and right after the road veers to the right. You really can't miss it. Smuggs is fairly limited in terms of easy access top roping.

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 09:41:06 am »

You're talking about the workout wall. Coming from Stowe it's over the notch, past the burned outhouses, and uphill and right after the road veers to the right. You really can't miss it. Smuggs is fairly limited in terms of easy access top roping.

Yup, that's it.

Spent many a day working on stuff there when we were newbs. Also at Texico. Back then these two places were usually quiet and we often had them to ourselves. I never liked the crowds at the N. End and Pitcher Falls.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 12:51:45 pm »
I'd check out Echo crag in Franconia notch. Never ice climbed there but there are ice climbs and the top is accessible - with some work.

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 03:59:08 pm »
I find Echo stuff - at least the few times I've actually gone there to ice climb to be more mixed climbing - and pretty steep! Damn Frik I want your beta for getting to the top without climbing!

Offline Climber57r

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 04:28:36 pm »
I find Echo stuff - at least the few times I've actually gone there to ice climb to be more mixed climbing - and pretty steep! Damn Frik I want your beta for getting to the top without climbing!

I thought you just stroll up that ice, clipping a bolt or 2 on the way by just to stay safe  ;D.
But the place I really know of that is the easiest to setup is Rumney at the parking lot wall right. The ice comes in good most of the time and there are a few options. I think in another week with this weather it s/b good. It is always best to get there early to get your pick. I find that the flume is great as well, however the top ropes are a bit sketchy to setup. I usually clip to a tree in the back and lower on a rope tether to stay safe. Enjoy.
Good times. Good climbs. Get out there, get after it, and most of all enjoy it.

"A not neat knot, is a knot not needed"

Offline sherbi

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 04:56:39 pm »
But the place I really know of that is the easiest to setup is Rumney at the parking lot wall right. The ice comes in good most of the time and there are a few options. I think in another week with this weather it s/b good. It is always best to get there early to get your pick.

I thought it was not possible to set up top ropes at Rumney without leading.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:19:13 pm by sherbi »

Offline crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 07:21:00 pm »
Anything is possible in Rumney :o
work hard, play harder

Offline Climber57r

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 08:58:58 pm »
The right side of Rumney is very easy to setup a TR. It is possible to continue left once you have climbed out that area and setup any of the other routes. You will have to walk. But the right side has easy access and is a great place to practice IMO. Walk right up to the top via the right hand side, then cut left to the top of the climbs. Anything from grade 2 to Grade 4 is possible there. Park in the main lot. You will see the 50-60' ice flows when you pull in to the right. Enjoy.
Good times. Good climbs. Get out there, get after it, and most of all enjoy it.

"A not neat knot, is a knot not needed"