Author Topic: Vertical Limit  (Read 1100 times)

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs God
Vertical Limit
« on: February 10, 2015, 09:34:36 PM »
hanging after a 13 hr work day. riffing through the channels, and found 'Vertical Limit' on one of them. Couldn't resist posting: Absolutely, positively, the stupidest f**king movie ever made, and that's a very high bar. Hands down. Miles beyond all competitors, including 'Rambo Goes Rockclimbing' (I mean 'Cliffhanger'),  'Van Helsing', and every Ed Wood movie, combined. So horrible it makes you laugh and then it makes you sad. All the things i could have done with the money wasted on this crap. Glad it nuked O'donnels career. But maybe if we could show it to newbies it would thin out the crowds. Or get them killed. Either way.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Offline triguy

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Vertical Limit
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:05:52 AM »
What do you mean "nuked his career"?

He had starring roles in one of the "American Girl" doll movies and the sequel to "Cats and Dogs"!!!!

He is prime time!!!

And yes, I know this because I have kids!
Ice has two purposes in life: climbing and watering down bad scotch!

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 02:23:49 PM »
Sorry you wasted 2+ hours watching it, you could get all the great climbing tips in this YouTube 10 minute short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxtg7raPDYo

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
nah, I didn't waste 2 hrs. watching it this time, did that once, unfortunately. Just found it skimming and the 3 min. or so I wasted this time up on 'K-2' was enough to remind me how stupendously stupid it was, even without the mega classic desert climbing. So thank you for the refresher on that. I'm going to go dig up my power drill to perform a self lobotomy and remove all those images from my brain.

Every climber/guide who participated in the production of this film should just be shot. And then pissed on.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 04:18:24 PM »
I feel like all the climbers/ guides/ and rigging folk on the set probably had an ongoing bet as to who could make the most ridiculous BS make it into the movie. Pure genius in a LL/ troll kind of way.
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 07:01:15 PM »
Every climber/guide who participated in the production of this film should just be shot. And then pissed on.

Didn't Viester's make a cameo (and provide technical support?). Pretty sure I remember the Everest Base camp scene with him as he was definitely the one person not comfortable on the camera...

That being said this movie was probably a great pay day for quite a few dirt bag climbers... Good on them! This has made me want to start a climbing movie thread.... meet me over there with favorite movies!

Offline ed_esmond

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • if you can't laugh at yourself..
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 09:41:37 PM »
really??

maybe you shouldn't be so hard on them…

while i'm not a big hunter s thompson fan, i think he had it pretty much right-on with this quote: "when the going gets weird, the tough turn pro…"

ed "i beg you, don't make me have to explain it…" e

edited to to be "kinder and gentler…"
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:59:01 PM by ed_esmond »
pragmatic: (adj) dealing with the problems that exist in a specific situation in a reasonable and logical way instead of depending on ideas and theories.