Author Topic: Missing hiker on Mt. Adams found dead  (Read 14572 times)

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Missing hiker on Mt. Adams found dead
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 08:06:00 am »
so it seems like the beacon malfunctioned? or something with the terrain bounced the signal arround?

Offline SidleK

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 08:55:19 am »
They routinely don't work up there and throw off erratic signals all the time. One minute you're on Lions Head, the next, on top of Nelson crag, then for good measure it'll dump you into the Great Gulf before showing youre back on track around Lions Head...

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 10:46:46 am »
Trad, you've been up there when the wind has picked you up and tossed you 10 feet at a time? While temps with wind chills approached -100?

I have, back in my young and foolish days.  We would see how high we could get on Mt. Washington no matter the weather.   Been blown across 50 feet of ground in 140 MPH wind gusts on Mt. Lafayette. 

Now I just go bouldering in the winter.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 11:03:56 am »
That actually seemed like a question that did not even deserve an answer. the only time I ever bailed up there the peak gusts turned out to  be 167mph that day. And yes, often a large part of the motivation of going up there was to experience the bad weather. I never did try the traverse. was more into climbing than hikeing.  always went into hunnington and did a coupple of climbs useing central or south as a decent and often finished the last climb of the day with the treck accross the alpine gardens to Lions head simply to brave the winds..
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:58:38 am by tradmanclimbz »

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 01:46:29 pm »
danf: thnX for posting that article. it's the best and most complete analysis of what took place. it puts a much more coherent light on the incident. with 100 mph winds in her face, it's pretty clear she could not have gotten back from Adams to Madison Hut. if she had abandoned her hike after Madison she likely would have survived. very sad...
Al Hospers

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2015, 02:00:40 pm »
danf: thnX for posting that article. it's the best and most complete analysis of what took place. it puts a much more coherent light on the incident. with 100 mph winds in her face, it's pretty clear she could not have gotten back from Adams to Madison Hut. if she had abandoned her hike after Madison she likely would have survived. very sad...

According to tradman, walking against 100 mph winds is just a good bit of fun.

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 02:26:12 pm »
When we were in our 20's we were young and stupid and yes we thought that was fun.

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 03:13:18 pm »
"Someone with hypothermia usually isn't aware of his or her condition because the symptoms often begin gradually. "

to read: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothermia/basics/symptoms/con-20020453

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 03:19:06 pm »
It certainly enlightening and as concise as we'll probably read. The video was good too. The two F and G guys certainly questioned why she'd head up knowing the weather conditions. From her husband though it sounds as if she was hell bent on doing what she had planned on doing. And like Al says, if she'd turned back after Madison she'd most likely be alive.

I wonder how much of an outdoors person her husband was and if that would have made any difference in him trying to convince her that it wasn't a wise choice to do the hike.

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2015, 06:50:24 pm »
We tried a similar route in similar conditions once, and couldn't go back against the wind.   Ended up having to face the snow wallow in the Gulf.

Better than being dead (as far as we know).

She probably had no idea that she could do the Gulf wallow having no knowledge of the area.

Offline om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2015, 07:58:43 pm »
Curious why Markvmnh thinks Kate's husband should've been convincing or was of an opinion it was not wise to go up? Did he know something she did not? As far as I can tell, she would've had a nice adventurous hike if only she assessed the situation timely and turned around 2 hours earlier, or maybe even right after Madison. Yes, she was behind schedule, but clearly in good spirits and able if she went up second mountain.
Most of us like a bit of spice in our lives, to push a bit beyond what is safe. She just pushed too far, its a narrow line.
-om

Offline ed_esmond

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • if you can't laugh at yourself..
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2015, 09:21:53 pm »
i'm in agreement with OM's sentiment here.

it's really sad that Kate died, but just imagine if she pulled it off and "lived to tell."

"all of us" would think her a "real bad @ss…"

it's a sad, unfortunate fact she didn't have enough luck to "pull it off…"

and keep in mind  "all of us" will never know what really happened, or why her "luck" failed….

consider: how "all of us" now think :

"she depended too much on technology…" 

or maybe: "she's just a type a who think they are invincible…"

or worse:  "It was negligent for her to be up there,"

or even really worse: "she's a 5.12 gym climber from nyc…"

obviously, (at least to me) she was someone who was "going for it…" and she had a reasonably good idea what she was doing.

it's so sad and tragic that she didn't make it; but, it bothers me when there's an underlying current of criticism of her for "going for it."

ed " who has 'parka surfed' in 110+mph winds" e
pragmatic: (adj) dealing with the problems that exist in a specific situation in a reasonable and logical way instead of depending on ideas and theories.

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2015, 09:34:16 pm »
Maybe I confused you guys in to what I was wondering about her husband. I'm not saying it was up to him to convince her not to go - he obviously trusted her judgement. And probably had no concern for her safety. She made her own decisions that day.

What I was wondering was "how much of an outdoors person he was" and if "he was" would his knowledge of the outdoors been persuasive enough for her not to hike that day. Sort of as a peer.

I know I've been in situations - climbing, skiing, being dumb on my mt. bike - where others have offered suggestions, advice, etc where it was still up to me to ponder that info and make my own decisions.

Offline Nick Grant

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2015, 09:34:25 pm »
Anybody who has spent time climbing in Huntington's, and anyone who has done the one-day Crawford to Randolph winter traverse knows that it's all about the weather.  You can be super fit and wicked aggressive, but if it's really blowing, it's just not going to happen.  Period.  Climbing out of Huntington's and being hit by an 70-100 mph wind sweeping across the Alpine Garden is a humbling thing.  And there's absolutely no way you can do a 20+ mile day above the trees when all hell is breaking loose up there.  It just can't be done.

And why would you want to do it?

Offline om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2015, 11:56:30 pm »
Well, it was not right away 100mph winds, i can't find it now but i remember looking at the graph of the wind speed and first half of the day it was 40 with gusts to 60, also temperature didn't drop to -35F right away, warmed up to 0F. By the way, here are average temperatures from her home city of Omks - she probably was playing outside her school in similar temperatures.

I think it's ok to have an ambitious goal, as long as there is cool head and a good plan B. And she did decide to turn back, her plan would've worked just fine if the wind wouldn't get that much stronger. Or maybe if she would take one less fall...
What do you think would've happened to our hero John Bouchard on Black Dike, one glove and all, if the weather would've turned much worse? Tradman confessed ten times now to summiting in such conditions, and hardly anyone would have a problem roping up with him.
Anyway, it does not feel to me she was that far out of line. I think 1-2 hours made all the difference. And of course not knowing our mountains. 

-om