Author Topic: Missing hiker on Mt. Adams found dead  (Read 11833 times)

Offline rbirk

• NEClimbs Full Member
Missing hiker on Mt. Adams found dead
« on: February 16, 2015, 06:31:42 PM »
Very sad, but WTF is one doing up there this weekend!!!! With 100+mph winds and a wind chill factor of -90F I have to wonder.. I am very impressed by the rescuers though.

http://www.wmur.com/news/rescuers-search-for-missing-hiker-near-mt-adams/31294362

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
Re: Missing hiker on Mt. Adams found dead
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:14:33 PM »
I'm not sure why I ever read the comments because they always piss me off, but this exchange was pretty good.

I hiked Adams yesterday. All of it. The day before I did the Hancocks. Again. So yeah. I can say thoroughly that while the conditions were not ideal- they were doable. And there were a lot of people on the trail. So eat some more potato chips and drink some more sugar.........

BULLSHIT, Hancocks are a three day hike in good weather
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Mike Grobicki

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:57:18 PM »
Sad news. I can only imagine how brutal the weather conditions were up there. I've got a massive amount of respect for everyone involved in search and rescue efforts who willingly go out in bad weather to try and help others.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:01:32 PM by Mike Grobicki »

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 09:08:16 AM »
Condolences to her family and friends.

Big THANKS to AVSAR, Fish and Game and anyone else that went out on the search under such horrendous conditions. They should be commended.

I'm amazed at the her decision to continue in the face of the weather conditions. Maybe having a SPOT / PLB alters your thought process to believing you're safe with a rescue close at hand.

Not that I've never gotten into a bad situation however for the most part I err on the side of caution and turn back when things get bad. No way in hell I'd have continued on above treeline Sunday.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:15:50 AM by markvnh »

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:39:25 AM »
Brings me back thoughts of Hugh Herr  33 years ago......

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 09:45:52 AM »

Sincere condolences to her family and friends.

Brave are those who assisted in the search. Most of whom do it for no financial compensation. The SAR people deserve both our respect and thanks.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 10:01:14 AM »
A very tragic loss, and an unfortunate event. Not sure much more needs to be said. My thoughts and prayers are with both she and her loved ones during this very difficult and sad time.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 11:17:23 AM »
FYI she was found "1/4 mile from Madison Hut, southeast on Star Lake Trail, 50 yds east, off trail"!
Al Hospers

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 11:32:37 AM »
map...
Al Hospers

Offline rockdoc

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 02:31:38 PM »
I read she had never hiked in the whites. I can imagine someone from somewhere like NYC , maybe doing 5.12s in the gym, young, fit, ambitious, thinking " oh it's only 12 miles" and going up. I read she was looking to do Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Washington and down all in a day; obviously she didn't have a clue about these mountains, especially in winter. Adams up and down on a good February day; OK. Not OK last weekend.

I'll never forget Rick Wilcox saying "these mountains are every bit as serious as Mount Everest".

RIP; condolences to family and loved ones.

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 05:02:03 PM »
FYI she was found "1/4 mile from Madison Hut, southeast on Star Lake Trail, 50 yds east, off trail"!
Given the conditions and the fact that the winds were so strong out of the NW, I imagine she was driven in that direction to try and shelter, when the best shelter would probably have been below timberline on the Valley Way, but difficult or impossible to get to by the strongest of us. Condolences to her friends and family and may she rest in peace. Some of the internet comments following the news article are beyond cruel to all concerned.

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 06:43:21 PM »
I think the big change (180 degrees) in the anticipated wind direction for Sunday might have played a part. From what I've pieced together, IF she was working off of Saturday's forecast for SE winds it may have been a reasonable attempt.

From my longer blog post about it...

http://nealpinestart.com/2015/02/18/a-young-climber-perishes-on-mt-adams/

"Did she overlook the forecast? Itís quite likely she didnít see that dayís forecast given her departure time. Of particular note is the low Norí Easter that was the major weather maker during this period travel 100 miles further southeast than originally forcasted.

This made the Higher Summits Forecast shift predicted wind direction for Sunday from Southeast on Saturday Night to Northwest Sunday Morning. That was a 180 degree change in anticipated wind direction within 24 hours, and in this case may have made all the difference. While no fault can be laid in the forecasters (this path change of this system seemed to catch everyone off guard), if Kate was aware of the forecast from Saturday it may have been reasonable to move forward based on the expected winds coming from the Southeast. It is quite likely she did not have access to the updated forecast Sunday morning."

Offline The other tomcat

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 07:31:06 PM »
If she had no experience in the Whites, I'd say it was a reasonable idea ....in summer....its hard to imagine a person from NYC that would not know how to access a weather forecast. That one person schemed this and their spouse goes along is unfathomable.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:34:15 PM by The other tomcat »
Tom Stryker

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 08:06:27 PM »
Pretty sure the vast majority of NYC is not aware of the Higher Summits forecast Tom, and even if they were there was a major change in what it said Saturday vrs Sunday. Not sure it contributed, but it should be considered before we cast stones.

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 08:58:33 PM »
Again condolences.

However, understanding there's a higher summits forecast or not, not knowing from Saturday to Sunday that the wind would shift 180 degrees or not, shouldn't common sense tell you to turn around if you're above tree line, the temps are beyond reasonably cold and the wind is probably blowing you over no matter what direction it's coming from?

Summit fever - came from NYC with an objective and her resulting extremely poor judgement cost her her life.

EDIT - read your blog Dave, nice job, and as I mentioned in my first post maybe the SPOT / PLB provided a false sense of security like you surmise also.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:06:44 PM by markvnh »